Dialled Love Hate mk1 (2007?) - build ideas

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So there I was attempting to cull a few projects, particularly ones a bit small or ones I tried, with my 18" Decade Virtue still for sale...
I do like a bit of SS, or did when I was actively riding a lot. From my 24 DMR Rhythm, up to my 700c Genesis Day One, I tried it with a Fixed gear Genesis IO in 26, and not got round to trying the Medium Decade, yet, will if it stays but it is a little short in the top tube at 562mm.
As you do I was getting twitchy on well used old frames that look like fun to do anything on and be less showy/expensive.
Threw a bid on a Charge Mortar, and then this. My eyeballing of the frame convinced me it was longer, backed up by comments on research! Turns out it's more like 580 in the top tube despite being a 17.5" frame, so might be best of both worlds for a fun chuckable compact SS. I threw bids on it and amazingly won without trying too hard. Past owner is nice guy but it has been his winter bike for 10 years or so. I was going to build as is, but orange paint is hardly stealth for the local scallies, and it's not got the shine any more with lots of wear and battle scars I like a bit of patina but tempted to recoat in orange, black would be boring surely. Made contact with Mike at Dialled who hopefully is looking into replacement decals for me..., which is brill. Going back to Orange would match my same era Fly BMX too and I do love orange!

The build Simple from stock parts, with rigid forks I thought, my DMR Olly Wilkins fork on there. And could put together ex721/d521 Mavics but is that all a bit too heavy and harsh?

Now as usual I'm getting a bit precious which i wasn't meant to, so i'f i get a refinish and decals, Should I look at other forks, Salsa etc, or even dreaded carbon Exotics?! :O maybe even suspension, Or Trailblade jump type forks work fine? And should wheels be lighter than 590g rims (as ace as 721's are). Stem I'll see what i've got between 60 and 100mm, 2" rise bars at least.

Comments and ideas welcome.

Attachments

• Dialled Love Hate copy.jpg
    Dialled Love Hate copy.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 897
Forgot to bid on this! Bargain. If you're powder coating maybe get some forks done at the same time?

Nice frame :cool:

I have run the same pair of Exotic carbon forks on a few bikes now, currently on my Charge Duster. I wasnt sure how reliable they would be when i first got them but really suprised and happy with them, excellent forks imo. They make an aluminum one too, not sure what thats like though.

Mark

Re:

Great find.

What sort of riding will you be doing with it, what terrain and will it be filling a gap in your fleet?

I've had no problems with my Exotic fork BTW.

Re: Re:

CTK":2kvotgux said:
Forgot to bid on this! Bargain. If you're powder coating maybe get some forks done at the same time?
Crazy because I wasn't going mad just put a few quid on to dabble, figured I'd get in hot water for another project! Was meant to be, lucky as seller was pretty local and helpful too.
It's a good idea having matching could look good, going to see how well it cleans up first.

mkone":2kvotgux said:
Nice frame :cool:

I have run the same pair of Exotic carbon forks on a few bikes now, currently on my Charge Duster. I wasnt sure how reliable they would be when i first got them but really suprised and happy with them, excellent forks imo. They make an aluminum one too, not sure what thats like though.

Mark
Thanks they seem pretty good, I do like steel to look at and trust but might spice up the collection and save weight too.

shedobits":2kvotgux said:
Great find.

What sort of riding will you be doing with it, what terrain and will it be filling a gap in your fleet?

I've had no problems with my Exotic fork BTW.

You're the first to ask me that, damn good question it is too.
I'm not getting a lot of riding done at present with family commitments, if anything it's short blasts through local wood and to park with kids, plus like a maniac I still have nice geared modern steel front suspension bikes if I do make it to a mountain or trail centre again!
I loved my 24" Rhythm in the woods was just a fun small mountain bike/BMX, I loved my 700c Day One it was ok off road, but commuting daily on slicks till I crashed it and changed jobs so that might rightly get knobblies again.
I've a Classic Trailstar that is clearly too small and it's not been as much fun as the Rhythm for some reason. but good for local stuff and not standing out so it sort of replaces that but probably deserves more. So building a ghetto rough Rhythm now for being invisible, and this can be a nice all rounder really for bits of blasts.as fun and lively as my other SS mentioned and big enough to maybe do a proper cc ride on or mess about on a pump track etc.

From the pics the paint looks fine, a black Salsa or P2 fork would look great if you choose not to paint.

Back