Dent in top tube

PeteA

Dirt Disciple
Hi, looking for a bit of advice. I’m looking at a 1992 Trek 950 Singletrack on fleabay. On close inspection of the photos there looks to be a small dent on the top of the top tube.

Not much in the description from the seller and they don’t seem to want to answer questions.

Should I steer clear or will it be fine since it’s steel?

14481CA2-6D1B-493C-AFDD-05BBAE15C93E.png

Attachments

• 7AA4D22E-2476-4D00-BB2A-38E24B24F544.png
    7AA4D22E-2476-4D00-BB2A-38E24B24F544.png
    380 KB · Views: 27
If you think the bike was hit hard, imagine how the rider felt when the top tube hit his nuts!

Hard to tell from the photos. Could be nothing, could be a sign of a head-on collision?

Looks like a lugged one, so 1989ish? Never rode one but was led to believe these were better than the fillet brazed ones that followed.

If the sellers reluctant to show more I'd be wary...if those two pics are all that they're prepared to show/discuss and not of the other side...hmmm another will come along.
But going from what I can see they could be removed with out paint damage with patience but is it worth it?

Bad picture of the dent, hard to tell exactly how deep.. At least on my screeen.. Doubt it's messed with it structurally though, also didn't crack the paint. My Explosif has a similar dent in the downtube and I'm 300 pounds, ride it happily, but I'd probably just steer clear because I don't like dents.

Don’t think it’s had a head on smash. Judging from the damage on the brake cable in the same spot I’d say it’s fallen over or had something dropped on it. 675C2450-49F6-49F1-B272-A85AD752F49A.png

Attachments

• EBF3C07E-621E-4E82-A492-804DF815E3ED.png
    EBF3C07E-621E-4E82-A492-804DF815E3ED.png
    275.6 KB · Views: 8
I would only offer half the going rate due to the den
t tbh. Think of how much the group set and wheels are worth. The frame is worthless in terms of resale value.

Looking at the full scale picture of the bike, I just noticed that I can see the dent.. If I can see the dent without closer inspection, I'd consider it a bit iffy and assume it's kind of deformed the overall tube a bit.. Get it cheap or set it free..

Don’t think it’s had a head on smash. Judging from the damage on the brake cable in the same spot I’d say it’s fallen over or had something dropped on it.View attachment 650277
Yeah my first impressions were it's not a head on bump...without actually seeing it it's hard to say.
Tubes don't just dent they swell either side of the dent that's why I'd be cautious without seeing other side of tube....esp as one cable shows damage and the other doesn't! If it's cheap spin the dice if its strong money walk away.
There is a formula of some kind I forget what is exactly but it's the percentage of affected tubing around it's circumference...but that means nothing unless your hands on with it!

Back