Decent performing mid-late 90s sus fork

klunkrider

Retro Guru
I’ve recently built a late 90s JMC inspired hardcore hard tail bike which currently has a minty Judy XC fitted but I’ve blown the damping cartridge and the search for a replacement is continually hitting dead ends.

Therefore, I’m thinking about other forks.

My spec list;

- Short travel, <80mm I think, in order to maintain geometry of the bike.

- Canti compatible. Willing to use a Pace/Cannondale style rocker if an arch with a hanger isn’t available. I’d say this kind of knocks most Marzocchis out of the running as the canti hangers for the separate arch forks are like hens teeth and they don’t have a central hole to mount a rocker and the M arch forks on aren’t compatible with cantis in any way either. Also probably discounts Fox and Manitou other than much earlier Manitous which in think will be a bit basic given my next ‘want’…

- Decent damping. Since this is the ONLY issue with my Judy I want to improve upon it.

I like Pace forks but I’m not sure what the damping on mc35 and 36 forks is like?

Last edited:
Hm, you say late 90's, that's before the Marzocchi m-arch types and there is a massive numbers of forks on the market, also fresh reproduced seals - no bricked NOS ones. 😏🤙
What is you problem with the canti hanger? Or use some kind of V-brakes and you don't need a canti hanger at all ...

Attachments

• Candi Hanger mounted 2.jpg
    Candi Hanger mounted 2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Candi hanger mounted.jpg
    Candi hanger mounted.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 8
Hm, you say late 90's, that's before the Marzocchi m-arch types and there is a massive numbers of forks on the market, also fresh reproduced seals - no bricked NOS ones. 😏🤙
What is you problem with the canti hanger? Or use some kind of V-brakes and you don't need a canti hanger at all ...
Yeah, the m arch are a bit later but the early ones where the arch was a separate casting would fit with the rest of the bike ok I think. I’m not too strict on period correctness.

My only issue with the marzocchi canti hanger is how rare they are!

Won a pair of mc35s on eBay yesterday evening so will see what they are like I guess. I do like the look of Pace forks.

Yeah, the m arch are a bit later but the early ones where the arch was a separate casting would fit with the rest of the bike ok I think. I’m not too strict on period correctness.

My only issue with the marzocchi canti hanger is how rare they are!

I have done excellent mirror polished ones and >150 in stock. 🖖🔧

Attachments

• Canti Hanger single (2) 1080.jpg
    Canti Hanger single (2) 1080.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 4
Fox very often seem to have stanchions that are in a terrible state. Do you know if there are models that are better for this?
Are you talking about the black ones? The golden ones are rock solid, but as often : the owner is the problem. If you ran the forks dry, they get worse.
I have opened about >1000 Bombers and older Marzocchi's over the years and more than >80% had no or not enough oil in.

Back