Dawes Tanami

John-Pike

Retro Newbie
I am currently rebuilding my Dawes Tanami which I bought some time in the 90s, I think, but I can't be sure, it may have been earlier. I used it in London on a regular basis since and have now brought it with me to Germany, where I now live. I have tried to find the specification of the Tanami, or a mention in a catalogue, but I have not managed to find anything at all. Can anybody tell me anything about the bike or where I can find a catalogue. With exception of the chain guard and mud guards it is absolutely original, although obviously tyres are not and as part of the rebuild, I have replaced the chain and both cassettes like for like. All the cables have been replaced and I found a replacement right hand brake/gear changer for the original which had ceased functioning totally reliably (return spring broken). I have never ceased to enjoy the bike and wouldn't swap it for anything else.

There are a handful of Dawes catalogues here: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/archive/categories/dawes.22/. However, if you can't find what you're looking for there, and if Google doesn't deliver much that's useful, it could be the case—as unhelpful as it sounds—that you are the world's greatest expert on the bike. After all, you've had it a very long time, you know the components, and you know how it rides. Sometimes, even the manufacturers don't have the information anymore. Sorry.

Last edited:
No luck there, unfortunately, but thank you for the tip. I have now written to the current owners of the Dawes name. including the frame number (J00202812) but don't expect any reply, the company name having passed through at least 4 owners since my bike was made!

Attachments

• Bike copy.JPG
    Bike copy.JPG
    472 KB · Views: 16
I did get a reply, promptly and most helpful. They reckon the bike dates from around 1988 or 2000, although I am inclined to think I bought it earlier, but I could be wrong. The person who replied attached the details from a selection of trekking bikes, which included the Tanami bike, which I attach in case others are interested.

Attachments

• Tanami.jpg
    Tanami.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 8
Year 2000 sounds believable. If the brakes are original, then it would be late 1990s at the earliest: v brakes didn't become common until then.

Interesting. The specs sheet I posted above, was sent to me by Peter Crowley at TGC Support, and he said "from your image we would date it from the Trekking range of 1999/2000 please see attached a specification listing from the catalogue of that year." So on balance, I think I can assume I bought it in 2000. List price was £449.99, about £900 in today's money. I have no idea if £450 was expensive for a bike in 2000. Note I misquoted him in my post above, that should have read 1999 or 2000. I can post photos when it is finished if others are interested. I am not attempting to restore it to pristine, as new appearance. The aim is to keep it as original as possible and in A1+ mechanical order, so that I can use it for the rest of my cycling days.

John, I've been collecting frame numbers recently in an attempt to gain some insight into frame builders, especially aluminium frames. My very own Saracen X-Ess, although a 26" wheeled jump bike has the frame number J0010100
Its pretty similar to your frame and I'd imagine they are both from the same builder. Not mine but the photo here also shows that the dropouts are similar https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/saracen-xess-2004-05-parts.432633/
I believe the '00' in the frame number indicates it is Year 2000.

Your Dawes and my Saracen are the only two frames I've found so far with the 'J' prefix.

Hi Sam. The J is interesting, and the 00 could well mean 2000. I have attached a photograph of the dropouts so that you can assess for yourself any similarity, together with other photographs of the frame. I hope that helps with your assessment. I am not an expert on bikes by any stretch of the imagination. I didn't even know what a dropout was, I had to look it up! But I was able to mount the new Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres without even looking at a lever! You will see from the photograph that the bike even has its "Look-In" saddle, although I am not sure how much longer it will last. Over the last 25 odd years I have certainly covered over 30,000 miles and possibly as much as 50,000. It needed a rebuild. I am basically finished now and intend taking it out briefly tomorrow. Briefly, because I am not really allowed to ride it until my physiotherapist has checked the modifications I have made, to ensure it matches his instructions. He is insisting I adopt a totally different posture when riding, basically sit-up-and-beg. The handle bars are now at least 20cm higher than they were. He claims two torn ligaments in my left shoulder and occasional problems with my neck are all due to my cycling posture. I suspect it is more to do with when I was born, which is now 75 years ago.

Attachments

• Bike 1.JPG
    Bike 1.JPG
    357.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Bike 2.JPG
    Bike 2.JPG
    459.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Bike 3.JPG
    Bike 3.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Bike 4.JPG
    Bike 4.JPG