Dawes Super Galaxy Challenging story of my bike’s creation:

balciaks

Old School Hero
Dawes Super Galaxy Challenging story of my bike’s creation:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7x6d5x2t77in ... 8C2xa?dl=0

For the last 12 month I have been working on the idea of building my own fast touring bike with the best quality parts I could get my hands on and the most challenging bit- as cheap as possible (ebay)!

I started with the frame. I managed to buy Dawes Super Galaxy 25” with Reynolds 531 st touring frame for 245£ . Kept the frame with forks and mint still unbroken Brooks professional with copper rivets and sold the rest of the bike for 60£.

Second most important bit was to get the ‘best’ wheel set. I managed to buy a nearly brand new Pinerello touring for 225£, then I swapped the original wheels to my spare unbranded wheels and sold the same bike for 240£. And kept immaculate Open Pro Mavic wheels on 105 shimano hubs. So… the mint condition wheels set for free. Then after watching YouTube video I managed to build the front son hub into the rim J

Then the part hunt began:

Shimano M772 rear derailleur, 11/36 teeth 10 speed cassette, shimano xt 10 speed chain; new 55£
Son deluxe 28- bought it as brand new from eBay Germany for 113 £
Ultegra 6700 second hand shifters- 87£
Ultegra 6800 front derailleur 13£
Coninental gp4000s II 700*28 new 40£
Ssk po45 mudguards got it for 10£ on new and cycled 125 miles to collect it- fun day.
Rear Tubus rack- 22£ on - cycled 55 miles to collect used
Tri bars, handle bards and stem all together were around 2£ used
Cyo b+m 60 lux front light: bought two of them from Germany for 51£, sold the second one for 30 so ended up paying 21£ for it. Mint condition
B+m Top light rear 12£ new
B+m usb werk 40£ new
Ultegra 6700 second hand cranks 36£, mint used condition
Shimano xtr 980 pedals – 33£, mint used condition
Dura ace cable stops, drink holder, campagnolo record headset- came from the bike I had/ sold.
Jagwire cables 10£
Bar tape: 6£ new
Campagnolo cantilever breaks 25£

To sum up the total for the bike build is 595 pounds (out of it 176£ is for dynamo system and accessories) and it rides superbly!!!
It is fast, comfortable and responsive. It became the ultimate bike on which I could still beat follow cyclist on the ‘race’ (some times), carry groceries, do a short touring trips and participate in charity rides J!

I have had a Dawes Galaxy for over 30 years, toured on it, stripped it down and changed the gears and did 2 London Triathlons on it, and now use it daily to and from work.

Back