Dawes Mixte Galaxy 1988 rebuild

Re:

Thanks, the bike is 95% complete now, just waiting for some sunshine to take some decent photos outside.
I need to get the alloy pannier rack welded, as 3 of the welds are cracked, and I'm waiting to take the mudguards off my winter bike, where they have been in use while this Dawes has been in for rebuild. I've also got some incorrect parts on one of the cantilever brake assemblies, so I'm scouring t'bay for the right bits. ( Shimano AT50 cantis - they seem quite hard to find.)

Whilst cabling up the brakes I found this 'arrangement' which I found unsatisfactory. The cable 'outer' doesn't sit nicely into the braze on, and because it is coming down over the handlebars, there is quite a kink in the cable.

If I put a ferrule on the cable it wouldn't fit into the braze on at all so I decided to make a 'reducing ferrule'. I am fortunate to own a small Myford lathe (40th Birthday present to myself!), so I found a small block of alloy and turned one to suit the job. I think it looks much more satisfactory, and it eases the cable round the corner.

Attachments

• ferrule1.JPG
    ferrule1.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 653
  • ferrule2.JPG
    ferrule2.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 653
Re:

Here are a few pics of the bike out on it's test ride. It is now in use by my wife, but at some point I need to refit the rear pannier rack and mudguards, and track down a pump that will fit.

Apologies for the non period saddle - it is a Specialized ladies saddle, which she finds very comfortable. One day she might 'wear in' a new Brooks.

Attachments

• dawes1.JPG
    dawes1.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 633
  • dawes2.JPG
    dawes2.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 633
  • dawes3.JPG
    dawes3.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 633
  • dawes4.JPG
    dawes4.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 633
Tasty...

The rack will look nice on this machine. I would suggest some nice silver full length mudguards would set this build off beautifully.

Re:

Yes, it came with some SKS silver plastic mudguards, but I'm not sure if they are original. They look quite modern, in fact they are still available new. Would they have been made the same as far back as 26 years ago? If not, what make/model guards should I look for as appropriate original equipment for 1988?

Ok, I've done a bit of google research, I think I need the SKS (ESGE) P35 mudguards, they look like some I had on a bike in the 80's, (except they now have black plastic fittings on the stays), as opposed to the SKS (Bluemels) ones which I already have, but I think look too modern. Any comments?

twosheds":3107gcp6 said:
Ok, I've done a bit of google research, I think I need the SKS (ESGE) P35 mudguards, they look like some I had on a bike in the 80's, (except they now have black plastic fittings on the stays), as opposed to the SKS (Bluemels) ones which I already have, but I think look too modern. Any comments?

The SKS ESGE guards are lovely. They have a nice silky metallic look. I have them on my mauve Carlton Corsa. I picked up some betters ones a few months ago for about £10. They don't seem to appear on ebay that often.

Re:

A couple of hundred miles down the road now, I have finally got the guards fitted but I am holding off on the rack until I find someone to do the weld repair for me.

Attachments

• dawes6.jpg
    dawes6.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 582
  • dawes5.jpg
    dawes5.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 582
Back