Cyclist Vs motorist-this time its personal.....

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":8zt5az7a said:
I prefer cycle lanes that are totally separate from roads. Can't trust drivers one iota.
^^^^ This ^^^^

I regularly get swung in on, or cut off by cars driving into the cycle lane, in order to avoid traffic coming the other way, or mainly just because they are incompetent prats who drive in the same uncontrolled manner in which they push shopping trolleys around their favourite supermarket.

Re:

This is a screen capture from a friends handle bar mounted camera taken on Monday morning on his commute.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 404
Re:

F*** that's close. :shock:

And drivers moan because cyclists have cameras on their bikes. :facepalm:

Re:

That happens to me almost every time I venture onto the road for a mile or so between off road. Drivers really are getting worse, and there are many more of them!

Here in Portugal I regularly see drivers either pass too close or overtake when overtaking is forbidden by the signage. I either case, I give them the finger.

Who has cycled A class roads ?

A van or car passing close at 37mph is nothing compared to the same vehicle passing you as close and at 70mph or worse is motorbikes(You know who you are) passing you at 130mph

But that is considered normal procedure, at least to expect it.
Therefore, to expect it there it is best to expect it everywhere. Takes time not to wet yourself each time something passes you :? Which I think is the case in many of these 'near misses'

Clocked another eejit cycling home on one of the major thoroughfares in the city, the one most coming out the city centre use to go home at night, and a bus route to boot
So there he is, commuter hybrid and fluro jacket flapping in the wind as he filters up the left hand lane at every set of traffic lights.
He filters past the bus im sitting on and on a left turn which is seriously busy.
2 cars in front of us and the lights go green catching him between both cars as both were turning left. Clear psycho looking to end things fluro jacket and all, but the 2nd driver is on the ball and narrowly avoids running him over.

Flushed with success he goes through the junction ignoring the traffic. which has now stopped to let him through, probably more flabbergasted than anything.

I lose sight of him at he continues on his pressing of luck but do catch sight ahead at the next set as he again filters up the inside intent on saving precious seconds.

I would also add that most cyclists don't have a mirror they can constantly check and who constantly looks not to be surprised when a vehicle suddenly appears :?

Re: Re:

NeilM":336f2o6v said:
F*** that's close. :shock:

No more than a few inches from his hand he reckoned!!! I wonder how close the wing mirror was to hitting him in the head?

I once had a motor cyclist brush the elbow of my coat. It was in a 30mph limit and I was doing approximately 15mph about 2 feet from the edge of the road, it was dark but under street lighting, I was wearing high viz with reflective bits and had decent lights, the road was plenty wide enough, straight for the next few hundred yards and nothing was coming the other way. He must have been doing 40 plus and I'm sure he did it on purpose.

Passes like that and the van above happen so fast they are over before you have time to realise what happened. They aren't frightening because by the time you've processed what happened you also know you're okay, so they just result in you getting pissy with the driver. I was once passed closely by a tractor towing a trailer, I was doing over 20mph and he was doing 30ish so he was along side me for quite some time. He was so close my first reaction was to take my right hand of the handle bars which obviously only made the situation worse. I was in a gap about 3 feet wide between the kerb and the massive exposed wheels of the tractor, riding one handed (left hand on the drops), trying not to wobble, looking for pot holes and wondering how wide his trailer was going to be (having been passed by tractors and trailers regularly on that road). Plenty of time to process what was going on and s**t myself on that occasion. After he passed me I watched as he continued on, the trajectory he was on had him close to within about 6 inches of the kerb before turning sharply to avoid it.

I had a very similar incident with a tractor and trailer on a very narrow road. What was worse was the guy was on his mobile phone as well. I set off in pursuit immediately but I am very glad I didn't catch up with him. If I had had a video camera it would have gone to the police, but I doubt that would have done much good. Probably just made me even angrier.

firedfromthecircus":2xdrdh40 said:
I had a very similar incident with a tractor and trailer on a very narrow road. What was worse was the guy was on his mobile phone as well. I set off in pursuit immediately but I am very glad I didn't catch up with him. If I had had a video camera it would have gone to the police, but I doubt that would have done much good. Probably just made me even angrier.
I'm sure we've all been in a similar position.

So, what's the answer?

All of us sharing our experiences on here will not change the situation.

Any ideas? :?

Re:

scottmac":1y740q4m said:
So, what's the answer?

All of us sharing our experiences on here will not change the situation.

Any ideas? :?

Ride further out from the side of the road???

Back