Cyclist Vs motorist-this time its personal.....

Re:

We have some roadworks not far from my house, and for the last several months (it feels like a lifetime) our little residential road has been used to divert traffic off of the slightly bigger residential road it would normally use.

This diversion has allowed me to watch the day to day commuter closely, as, despite my high annual mileage I am very rarely a commuter. My observations have drawn the following conclusions.

Commuters are all ten minutes late. They are mostly angry. They shout. They use their horns to try and clear traffic, believing they can blast pedestrians, parked cars and even double decker busses out of the way. They are mostly angry. They shout... male drivers of black cars being particularly well versed in Anglo Saxon and not averse to shouting at old ladies.

I don't live in a city, I live in a sea side town with a population of around 76,000.

When I ride my road bike I am frequently close passed, occasionally shouted at "get on the pavement' being a favourite, very frequently have vehicles overtake me and then almost immediately slam their brakes on the turn left, right or just stop in the middle of the road, I have even been squashed into the kerb, when the car overtaking me suddenly realised he needed to park, while I was level with his passenger window (my method of alerting him to the fact, with the word FORF*CKSAKE!).

Never, never NEVER have I got into a fight or argument with a driver, never have I chased them down for this reason and so never have I had a driver climb out of his car and threaten me. I have on the other hand use the video evidence from my camera to report truck and bus drivers to their companies and car drivers to the Police.

However, about the most worrying aspect of this whole thread is the objectifying of fellow cyclists as "roadies" and "they" by other cyclists on a cycling thread on a cycling forum.

Now THAT scares the sh*t out of me, because if other cyclists see me as an object, a lump of something 'in their way' on the road, rather than a PERSON who has chosen, not to drive his car or ride his motorbike but instead to take some exercise by riding one of his or her (my daughter rides too... yes and they vote and everything) bicycles... well then we are all F*CKED.

As for a complete lack of knowledge of the Highway Code and the rights of road users, well, welcome to the club, cos even the Police don't have a clue, I know, I've had conversations with them.

This country has a SERIOUS road problem.

I did laugh my left nut off though! :LOL:

ps. Just got back from riding around France and I didn't get any road rage whilst on my bike.

Rod_Saetan":k1qgl1h0 said:
Didn't bother watching it, I do 22 miles a day through London so I don't really need to see a video of either someone driving like a prat or a Cyclist behaving irresponsibly

I couldn't agree more. I do exactly the same milage as you btw ;-)

I honestly dont see cyclist at fault. His position from patked cars is correct as it allows for somebody opening a door.

Follow the driver to explain his error so they realise what they did, nothing wrong with that.

Re:

I think there's an interesting shift in power going on here.

For many long term cyclists, I suspect the option you'd choose is to pull in a bit and let the idiot past. Far better that than get knocked off, or get into a road rage incident, or try and remember the number plate (and find the police aren't interested). There are so many examples of bad driving (and cycling) out there - it's not worth the effort of tackling each one. Plus people are human, and occasionally make mistakes/have a bad day.

Previously, perpetually bad drivers likely understood the average person they crap on is not going to respond or get the police interested so have seen no need to change their behaviour.

Helmet/bike cams have changed the power dynamic so the person on the receiving end can bring about change. Now if you are inclined, you can actually get action taken. When a video goes viral, and the evidence is plain to see - the previously languid police are forced to take some kind of action.

Whatever the merits of this particular case - it could be interesting to see the whether high profile cases like this see a gradual change in road user behaviour.

Re:

I think the video should be called Prat vs Prat. Looks very like inciting a situation so the cyclist has another video to add to his YouTube collection. At 0.37 the cyclist causes another cyclist to swerve out of his way and just misses hitting a pedestrian. It a shame they didn't turn up for the ensuing 'argument' footage :LOL:

If the driver had fallen, banged his head and died, I wonder how quick this cyclist would be uploading to YouTube or calling the Police. Being a moron isn't the preserve of car drivers, they turn up on all forms of transport :facepalm:

Back