Cyclist and the demise of brotherhood/friendship.

mattr":2c0rls2x said:
TBH, it's seasonal here. As soon as the weather turns (late april/early may) all the VatternRundites move from their spinning bikes/turbo trainers to the road and swarm everywhere. Weaving, winding and generally being a pain in the arse. (4 abreast isn't unusual, or val abreast with a 2m gap between the riders)
They ignore everyone as they are focused so intently on not riding into the person 5m in front of them, or the ditch. Or the car that's had to do an emergency stop on the other side of the road to avoid them.
The death grip and squealing of brakes on even the mildest of descent can be seen (and heard) everywhere.

Then after the event (weekend before the longest day), it's peaceful, people wave, or at least acknowledge the existence of other riders. Stays like this all through the darkest days (and we know about dark days up here) until it all starts again in April/May.

The biggest downside is everyone announcing their times for the event on monday morning, and asking why, as a cyclist, i haven't done the VatternRundan, because every cyclist should do it, it's the most important event on the cycling calendar, dontchaknow.

Just glad i don't work in a shop anymore.

Having lived way up North for a while this is so spot on. You forgot one point though at the end of the season when they flog the bike they will proudly mention it did the vattern runden. I never
got the fuss of it and thought it
was all a bit silly and shallow.

The yawn fest in cykloteket seeing droves of vattenrundites queuing up for a Specialzed body geometry fit took the biscuit for me.

Oddly I found "serious/regular" commuters more social than most recreation cyclists.

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2hordtbs said:

I certainly don't make a mantal note of what type of bike they're riding. Who cares?

Huh? I care. I'm interested in seeing things like domed nuts on
the brake blocks, QR or wing nuts, spoke protector, mud, cleaness etc.

No snobbery, just like to see what another cyclist take is ; a well built bike, collector piece, custom bike can set a precedent for a great conversation beyond a simple "hello".

Woz":dudp0xt5 said:
You forgot one point though at the end of the season when they flog the bike they will proudly mention it did the vattern runden.
Not forgetting those who bought one of the charity special packs. Bike, clothing, shoes, pedals and helmet.

Generally means spending 1400 quid on a 900 quid cookie cutter bike and some special stickers. Then 300 quid on 50 quids worth of accessories/equipment.

The History Man":29jay56h said:
Spoke protector?

Got three (attached to wheels) in the msn-cave at the moment while I service the neighbours bikes.

They cloud my vision, thought and mske me restless and insomniac. I can control the rage wirh drinking and RB.

Re:

I have to say that almost all riders that I have passed in the last few months have given an acknowledgement of some description either a nod or maybe just a few raised fingers off the bar tops, seen some BIG club groups as well the last week or so and at least one or more of those groups will give a wave, even a few walkers have said Hi!! Perhaps I've just got a friendly face.....or maybe I'm just lucky !! Having said that I will probably get completely blanked next time out ;)

Mick

Back