Cyclist and the demise of brotherhood/friendship.

Or you’re so slow that they feel awkward that you waved ages ago and are STILL approaching them and looking for a reply?

The History Man":3f63fmm2 said:
Or you’re so slow that they feel awkward that you waved ages ago and are STILL approaching them and looking for a reply?

Quite possibly ;)

Mick

Re:

I actually got a wave from a pair of roadies the other day while I was out on the marin. Nearly shat myself as that's the first time in a very long time a roadie has even acknowledged me.

Nah in all honesty people are actually pretty good here, no matter what you/they ride if you're out on the local loop you get a wave. Obviously you get the arseholes who are so focused on beating their interval time by a few seconds they don't have the time to respond to any greetings but 9 out of 10 are friendly and say hi. Did a local 100km sportive and was talking to everyone along the way, from the mountain bikers doing it for a bit of fun to the elite trying to get the best times.

Re: Re:

MarinMartin":33vepkc4 said:
. Obviously you get the arseholes who are so focused on beating their interval time by a few seconds they don't have the time to respond to any greetings .
and why are they arseholes? They are training. Would you expect someone to stop and wave to you if they were in the middle of a rally at say Tennis or Squash. Would you expect someone to drop his weights and wave if you walked into the gym while he was pressing? Why can't a cyclist focus and train. Cycling can be transport, a social activity and SPORT.

btw, I'm a social rider primarily

Re:

I'm not talking about riders when they're training though. If they're training and focused on improving then that's fine, I can see they're riding for purpose rather than leisure (I've had a few rides the same for my charity events where I make sure I pick a route with no others around as I know you focus solely on improving, not much use to me as I'm a useless lard arse anyway and any chance of improving is slim) but even when not training and just out on a recovery/chilled ride, some of them act like anyone else on a bike is not worth their time and those are the ones that I hate, unfortunately a few of my (ex) friends went that way, they would go out for a ride and completely disregard anyone else on a bike because they're so caught up in trying to beat their times which ruins the idea of a leisure ride for me.

I've got mates who race professionally, train their ass off and still have time to go out on social rides just for fun, no targets, only to have a good time with other riders. Others just seem to believe that because they're quicker or to a higher standard that those below them aren't worth noticing. What they forget is that everyone has to start somewhere. Anyone who does

Like it or not that's my experience.

:?: your confusing me now :LOL:

you say they are arseholes for being focused on improving, you then say its fine if they are actually focused on improving!!!??? :shock: :facepalm:

I'm very focussed. Saw my GP last night. :shock:

Another lifestyle change in the offing.

Call me THW

Back