Cyclist and the demise of brotherhood/friendship.

Re:

I get a lot of “morning” etc from weekend warriors, not noticed any particular aloofness from the folk out at the weekend.

I suspect there’s a bit of RB inverted snobbery going on here.

I get blanked daily on a canal path by nearly everyone, on folders, cyclocross, bmx, mountain bike and most of all e bikes riders going like stink!

Does a group of people riding bikes conect them? An anti sociable person is still that even if he is into the same hobby as yours.

I have found that saying hello to everyone i pass always gets acknowledgement, even if it is an awkward grunt. However, i still am unsure of how to acknowledge a group of people, when out walking for example, who pass by one at a time. Do i say hello to all 30 or so individually or just one loud hello to the group!? As for road riders in a group, by the time i say hello to the first rider at least another 20 have gone by! :LOL:

Re:

Some interesting thoughts, so thank you for taking the time to reply. A few further observations/comments...I always say hello to walkers and cyclists whether I'm cutting my hedge in my very rural village or out walking or cycling - always have, always will.

As for RB inverted snobbery, I don't subscribe personally to that, as the saying might go,"I've been riding 531/steel when it was the only frame material". I'll also add if I am out on my modern Bianchi (Reparto Corse) the experience is the same - is it because I don't wear team kit ? The last team kit I wore ? Fagor.

Rk.

Re:

In summer I ride steel, in winter I ride "cheap carbon" (which was not cheap at all), I wear whatever kit is appropriate, team, matchy matchy, warm when needed, dry when it is wet, and I long ago discovered that my kits is neither bright enough, nor dark enough for me to consider myself a 'serious cyclists', I have also observed on many occasions the 'cloud of gloom' that sits over serious cyclists.

All of that said, I went to a 6 hour mtb race on Saturday that my daughter was taking part in, as she passed us on her second stint we got no reaction from her at all as my wife, her partner and I jumped about making suitable silly and encouraging noises, it turns out that was the fastest lap by a female rider in the race and that she was on the winning female team, so maybe these grumpy riders who do not acknowledge the presence of a fellow enthusiasts are just leaving it all on the road, or maybe they just don't identify with the whole cycling fraternity.

From a personal point of view, I give a small but observable wave to all cyclists coming the other way and a hello or a thumbs up to all those I pass, sometimes I get a wave or a hello back, sometimes I don't. I also say hello to all cyclist I see when I'm riding my horse, as I think there is at times a perceived barrier between fellow vulnerable road users, erected by both arrogant cyclist and poor jockeys who blame cyclist (or car drivers, or sheep, or crisps packets, or gates) for their own lack of horse riding skill.

horse-electric-bike.jpg

Love that picture :cool:

I think that some of those that dont respond, including maybe NeilM's daughter are maybe too focused to, and not arrogant. I have trained for various disciplines and you do need to concentrate to an extent that you cut yourself off from all around you, in the zone as they say.

A lot of road riders i see around the peak district have the nice bikes and all the gear and maybe they believe or are infact, training for the next TDF. Who knows, but if i had just cycled 75 miles at race speed i doubt i would really notice someone saying hello, unless they were offering me respite, or a lift home :)

Re:

steel bike = good egg, carbon bike = bad egg

old jersey = nice guy , modern sky or Castelli = bad guy

seems to be themes on here

TBH, it's seasonal here. As soon as the weather turns (late april/early may) all the VatternRundites move from their spinning bikes/turbo trainers to the road and swarm everywhere. Weaving, winding and generally being a pain in the arse. (4 abreast isn't unusual, or two abreast with a 2m gap between the riders)
They ignore everyone as they are focused so intently on not riding into the person 5m in front of them, or the ditch. Or the car that's had to do an emergency stop on the other side of the road to avoid them.
The death grip and squealing of brakes on even the mildest of descent can be seen (and heard) everywhere.

Then after the event (weekend before the longest day), it's peaceful, people wave, or at least acknowledge the existence of other riders. Stays like this all through the darkest days (and we know about dark days up here) until it all starts again in April/May.

The biggest downside is everyone announcing their times for the event on monday morning, and asking why, as a cyclist, i haven't done the VatternRundan, because every cyclist should do it, it's the most important event on the cycling calendar, dontchaknow.

Just glad i don't work in a shop anymore.

Back