Cyclist and the demise of brotherhood/friendship.

legrandefromage":3ekfe79i said:
horse-electric-bike.jpg

that would be perfect if the legs moved as she peddled. Does her bum look big in that? :LOL:

Re: Re:

pigman":2mkotdu5 said:
steel bike = good egg, carbon bike = bad egg

old jersey = nice guy , modern sky or Castelli = bad guy

seems to be themes on here

I don't see those themes (sic).

Rk.

Re:

See, we are kinda running into personal bias and massive generalisations here.

I have a mate, one or two of you may know him as he goes under the handle of Mike Muz. Now Mike is a super nice guy, as fit as a flea and rides more miles a week than most folk here ride in a year.... but he's a tart, a poseur, a dandy, a flash bitch and he just loves his team kit. Worse, he has not one but TWO Scott Endorphin MTB's, as well as a fine fleet of steel road and offroad bikes.

So, is he friend or foe? Carbon bike, team kit (one set to match each bike and a few more besides), steel Bob Jackson running perfect age related components, all of them immaculately turned out and ridden HARD.... you see where I am going here?

Re:

Top of the Mendips, December 2017.

75k, 830m of climbing.

Didn't see anyone else to wave to.

DSCN1754.JPG

DSCN1758.JPG

Re:

Bicycling in the U.K. is pretty popular these days: probably due to the availability of cheapish, lightish, reliable bikes through cycle-2-work schemes, credit etc; and the rise of organised rides.

THat means loads of people are doing it, and people are different; so you get lots of different people who ride bikes now. Some are grumpy, friendly, sleepy, dopey, etc

If you're kind and polite to other bike riders (even if they are different or rubbish), respect other travellers (while being aware that many people become fuckwits behind a wheel) then I'd say that makes you a cyclist rather than a rider of bicycles. Which is okay.

Re:

How far did the brotherhood ever extend though? Most 'cyclists' of my parents' generation were hoping they were on their way to owning a car, maybe via a motorbike/sidecar, and thenceforth as far from a bicycle as possible. 'Utility' cyclists. Cyclists from necessity rather than choice.

Alternatively, there was the smaller 'brotherhood' of cyclists distinguished from the first group by their familiarity with tub cement, embrocation, cleats and gear ratios, who would associate at locations known only to them at the crack of dawn on Sunday mornings. Some of them might even be car owners, but they never wore shades.. not on the bike, anyway. I think that started with Lemond and Hinault.. Imagine those two waving a friendly greeting at eachother..

Re:

Now my name - reputation - has been mentioned, I shall give you my views.

Whatever bike I'm riding, whether it be road bike - of whatever material - mtb or cx bike, I always acknowledge other riders. Put a hand up, or nod my head, or both.I don't wait for them to do so, it's automatic for me.
If they don't respond, I don't get hung up about it. Maybe they didn't bother, maybe they did and I didn't see, while I was looking away or in front of me again.
I certainly don't make a mantal note of what type of bike they're riding. Who cares? They're out on their bikes having fun. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Happy riding, and look for the good in people ;)

Peace

Mike

Re:

Mike Muz 67":271ldp15 said:
Now my name - reputation - has been mentioned, I shall give you my views.

Whatever bike I'm riding, whether it be road bike - of whatever material - mtb or cx bike, I always acknowledge other riders. Put a hand up, or nod my head, or both.I don't wait for them to do so, it's automatic for me.
If they don't respond, I don't get hung up about it. Maybe they didn't bother, maybe they did and I didn't see, while I was looking away or in front of me again.
I certainly don't make a mantal note of what type of bike they're riding. Who cares? They're out on their bikes having fun. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Happy riding, and look for the good in people ;)

Peace

Mike

Spot on Mike, this is exactly right

Back