Cycle rage

Sometime I imagine the light-jumpers do it without thinking, just drifting along in their own little world. This sounds like he actually thinks he has every right to barge people out of the way in order to jump the lights. God knows what he does behind the wheel, hopefully he's a little more respectful to others.

Re:

I'm afraid the OP's post is a perfect example of stupid people riding bikes.

I did a sportive on Sunday, and while carefully dealing with heavy traffic, I was undertaken by another cyclist. I did not know he was there, he did not give me any 'passing on your...' warning and he missed my bars by a couple of inches. When we got going I overtook him again. Then at a very busy, slow junction he cruised past me and straight out onto a main road, I overtook him again and then he and his pal overtook (or maybe undertook) a whole stream of slow traffic (being held up by other sportive riders) by riding along the pavement. Both riders were over 60, so really should have known better, and I was tempted to ask them if they would be moving on to jumping red lights and smashing car wing mirrors next. :facepalm:

Idiots are idiots, regardless of how they choose to travel.

Re:

Alas, that sounds a familiar experience. It's good to see that cycling as a whole is gaining popularity and momentum but then there's wider cross section of people getting involved. You'd kind of expect more grief from motorists but I think I've faired well with them. Seemed to have had more bother from people on bikes who have no idea how to behave. I asked the guy if he did the bumping thing when he's driving. He probably wouldn't like any other road user bumping him.

I had a similar experience on a sportive - wannabe racers wanting to play at it for a day and not bother to get a proper BCF license. I got bawled out for stopping at a blind give way. Plonkers.

I've kind of given up on sportives as many participants are frankly dangerous in a bunch. I'm no time-served club rider but a certain contingent seem to switch all sense off, especially on the consequences for others.

Re:

I'm fortunate in that all my riding is for pleasure / leisure, and none of it is done in the city, but I bring to my cycling a high level of what used to be known as 'road skills', as I am a long term car driver and motorcyclist too, so I can read the road, read the traffic and know how to take control. Many other road users simply have very little skill and also appear to have very little appreciation of potential danger / conflict. Plus of course, so many people are in such a blinding rush to get to wherever they are going. :facepalm:

I saw a great post on singletrack from a cyclists who misread the situation and nearly got hit by a car. The car stopped and the cyclist apologised to the car driver, who in turn apologised for driving too fast and poorly indicating. Shame there are not more like them.

Re:

Road craft or road skills seem to be lacking these days. Although I commute by bike, I do drive and have driven a lot of vans too. I think the craft and skills are transferable. Strangely, I think the cycling has helped improve my standard of driving, particularly with spatial awareness, speed, braking distance and reading the road. With the bike commute, my life depends on reading the road and anticipating most situations. It's like looking way ahead and picking the right line on the trail and keeping the momentum flowing.

Re:

Road craft!

That's the phrase, and the name of the Police motorcycling manual I have (previous post suitably edited).

Back