Cycle helmet debate number 56565647564 with a twist

Re:

One thing I will add, is here in California there are mandatory helmets laws for motorcycles and also for kids on bikes under 18 years old. There is a reason doctors call them "donor cycles". Now, I don't care if you wear a helmet or not-it's up to you-but protecting yourself in the event of a fall makes perfect sense to me- I have been wearing elbow pads and gloves for years now, also, and they have saved me some skin, too...

Bad bad Mr. Breeze!!

2066451775_2028a44081_o.jpg

The History Man":2ve6vvm2 said:
I don't need to read it. I wear one. I have responsibilities to and for others. Never heard of one making things worse.

And thats where you go wrong, ignoring all the available information and technical details of how current helmets actually work, immediately calling others irresponsible when it is their choice not yours.

Its not for you or I to tell anybody what to do - and thats the point, cycling is safe, hysteria over 'unjustifiable health and safety' is ruining what should be a fun safe and healthy activity - smothering it all in fluorescent tabards and polystyrene isnt the way to go.

Not immediately. It's my opinion based on my experience built up over 40 years of riding on two wheeled contraptions and also scraping their riders off the road on a good few occasions.

Maybe good isn't the right word but you get the idea. I'm not ignorant of research and the views of others but mine is to say that riding without a lid is better than not riding is irresponsible and borderline reckless.

My elves always had lids as does pretty much every other supervised child I see. Our choice. Not advocating legal compliance, Darwinism will suffice.

Now move on to someone else and respect my opinion rather than challlenging me specifically. I didn't focus on anybody in particular. Nor should you. That's how this section gets unpleasant as I'm sure you know.

Re:

If your ten year old is riding without a helmet I will happily interfere in your parental 'choice'. Same way I will if they are out in a dinghy and you are sat drinking at the bar. Anyone deemed to be under the 'care' of someone else ought to be as 'protected' as possible, (and as a few have pointed out there is no evidence helmets do anything but minimise injuries). Something like legislating for those under 16 at least to require proper kit would be sensible.

I doubt the number of people who choose not to cycle because they might feel they need to wear a helmet outweighs the number who cycle with more confidence and more often because they feel a helmet offers them a little protection.

It seems to me the larger cycling organisations get themselves into a difficult area here. Fudging the issue, at a time we are seeing a surge in cycling.

I don't wear one most of the time, and I don't think making them mandatory across the board is a good idea.

They ought, though, to be recommended clearly.

I think most people agree it is down to the individual regarding the wearing of helmets. Personally i have only ever wore a helmet riding downhill, mainly down to liability issues with the land owners or track builders.

there are arguments, and research, for both sides. I think that educating people about both and making the facts clearer would be a start.

Re:

I get the whole "better with than without" and "safety first" etc. but... i do have some doubts about cycle helmets, they are pathetic compared to say a motorcycle helmet. My motorcycle helmet weighs 1,300g, has sophisticated construction and is quite obviously capable of significant protection including ears etc and will stay put during a nasty slide across tarmac. Bicycle helmets are a joke by comparison, not useless i concede, but much less secure etc for sure.
I do wear a modern cycle helmet all the time so don't go lecturing me about it. I also only ride motorcycles with full rider gear, not just a helmet and t-shirt.

I suspect a cycle helmet is better than nothing, but only just. I firmly believe one's welfare as a cyclist is best served by skillful roadcraft (positioning, looking, judging speeds, reading the road, lifesaver glances etc) rather than plopping on a helmet and thinking that makes me safe on the roads. A cycle helmet might be a bit better than nothing but good roadcraft is a LOT better than nothing.

Latest posts

Back