Cycle helmet debate number 56565647564 with a twist

Re: Re:

legrandefromage":lvv78d11 said:
widowmaker":lvv78d11 said:
Surely they should just say they recommend you wear one :shock:

Just for you - dont make me get the big crayons out again

Cycling UK's view is that it is more important to encourage people to cycle, than whether or not they wear helmets when doing so. Cycling should be promoted as an essentially safe, normal and enjoyable transport and leisure activity, which anyone can do in whatever clothes they prefer to wear, with or without helmets.

I understand no need to get the crayons out :)

When the law is changed I'll wear one. Still Then I'll take my chances. I've had more accidents walking in London than on my bike. Plus I don't tell others not to wear one. So mind your own.

Re:

Always wear one now. Feels wrong riding without. But thats from lessons learnt. When I was younger I had a massive spill and was knocked unconscious with a little bit of permanent damage. Well at least thats what I blame my memory problems on :LOL:

Re:

People can ride without helmets I wont comment at all or convince them they should, its a free country. I wear one always because I would rather have all the help I can in the event of a tumble.

Still not read it. Still wear one. Helmets have saved my nut on push bikes and motor bikes. I get the point of cycling being the greater good but. Failing to recommend lids is irresponsible in my view. You can go just as fast and cause yourself as much damage as a 125 moped.

The History Man":3bqd5kvb said:
Still not read it. Still wear one. Helmets have saved my nut on push bikes and motor bikes. I get the point of cycling being the greater good but. Failing to recommend lids is irresponsible in my view. You can go just as fast and cause yourself as much damage as a 125 moped.

Then by not reading it you have missed the point entirely :(

I read your quote. I thought that was the salient point?

I do get the point I just think id prefer the fitness and the safety aspect.

Still think it's irresponsible.

Re: Re:

widowmaker":jxjr6tv4 said:
People can ride without helmets I wont comment at all or convince them they should, its a free country. I wear one always because I would rather have all the help I can in the event of a tumble.

My kind of rider.

The History Man":3f1hldjc said:
I read your quote.

Still think it's irresponsible.

My wife would agree with you. Plus not carrying a mobile and cycling on my own.

Re:

I always wear a helmet when riding on or off road and, like others, have had a few spills over the years where I've been glad I had the helmet on. I'm under no illusion that wearing a helmet somehow will offer complete protection from all crashes (especially if that crash involves a car or a truck!) and I would hope that the majority of people realise this.

I've not read about or seen any good evidence that helmets cause or increase the risks of injury when involved in a crash so I'd rather wear one than not.

I do believe it is each persons choice to decide if they want to wear one or not though and would strongly oppose the wearing of helmets being enforced by law. I think the management of risk to yourself and others when out on the roads, whether riding or driving, is more important. The general lack of respect for the well being of your fell man/woman is what is sorely lacking from a large number of individuals on the roads these days in my experience.

Back