Current project FC Parkes? lightweight

3wheeler7

rBotM Winner
So I bought this frameset about 2 years ago and it's hung on the wall since then. I've just decided to do something with it and have started stripping the paint.
I don't truthfully know who the manufacturer was but I'm leaning towards FC Parkes, any input would be welcome.
Definitely looks early/mid 1930s, but is very light, built for 27” wheels, rear bridge is undrilled, 26.8mm seat post (nickel plated and came with it along with a nickel plated Williams chainset).
The only number I can find on the frame is 708 stamped on the underside of the BB shell. BB shell is 68mm.
The most unique feature is the reinforcing tubes brazed over the chainstays at the BB end, not uncommon but the shape and length should define a manufacturer – if only someone recoginises it.
Yellow paint inside the BB shell appears to be the original colour, a previous owner had stripped it and painted it light blue, the rear stays originally had chrome socks to match the head tube and lugs, Forks appear to be the original item and are all chrome.
It's going to get stripped back to metal all over and painted a nice shade of red, then built up with some nice parts as a single brake fix wheel.
Of course this will take some time but I'll update now and again.
Looking for a 31/32” headset lock nut in the Wanted section if anyone can help.

p18.jpg p17.jpg p16.jpg p14.jpg p13.jpg p10.jpg p8.jpg p3.jpg p2.jpg

I have a 1938/39 Parkes. Yours is similar but not identical. Here's a link to mine:

The frame number should be 1-2 letters followed by numbers. It's usually on the dropout. The first letter refers to the financial year and the numbers are the frame number. This thread has a list halfway down:

Late 30s looks about right, based on the dropouts, the early mudguard fittings, head clip and maybe that's a Russ fork. 26.8mm I think was the early gauge for early 531 - but I forget where I got that information from.

Hi Johnny, yes I've seen your post, in fact it was yours that set me thinking that mine may be a Parkes. I'd trawled through countless pictures of 30s bikes on the net but can't find anything similar apart from yours.
Only thing is the lack of frame number - nothing on the drop outs just 708 on the BB shell.
I'm going to do a build prior to paint once I've got it stripped and gathered the components - it won't be strictly 30s build, more like 50s as I've got a nice wheelset (LF Airlites on Dunlop stainless special lightweight rims) but it'll still look the biz.

Those tangs on the chainstays look like they could be a repair? Chainstays do tend to suffer in that area - especially if someone has re-spaced the dropouts?

It's not impossible, but I don't think so, I'll know more when I've got all the paint off.
Was it you who thought you may have a 31/32" top nut? I posted pics of a similar item in the wanted request.

Hi, time for an update, stripped the paint off the frame and sanded the rough chrome off the forks, checked the frame for dents and all is well except for a minor dent to the top tube - probably made by a Sturmey Archer cross bar changer, it'll need a touch of filler.
weighed the bare frame =1916g (4.22lbs) and bare fork = 766g (1.68lbs) total =2862g (5.9lbs). That's not too shabby for an old 'un.
Seat post diameter is 27.00mm.
Hung a few bits on it - which may or may not become final choice - but I wanted to check the chain-line and wheel-alignment. Once again all is well.
So the next step is to decide on a colour scheme, the chrome is too far gone to save and I'm not going to the expense of re-chroming unless I can find out the identity of the frame for certain.
I'm going to have a word with the local bodyshop to see if he will two pack spray it for me using some surplus paint in a nice colour, I'll get it sandblasted then hand it to him to paint and lacquer at his leisure.
By the time it's done I might have even found out it's true identity!

pa1.jpg pa2.jpg pa3.jpg pa4.jpg pa5.jpg pa6.jpg

Hello all , I have just found an old FC Parkes Bike in a shed , Lugless frame ? Frame number WL 51 , nothing else just WL51 ???? Any idea why ? Frame is rare I have been told
So I bought this frameset about 2 years ago and it's hung on the wall since then. I've just decided to do something with it and have started stripping the paint.
I don't truthfully know who the manufacturer was but I'm leaning towards FC Parkes, any input would be welcome.
Definitely looks early/mid 1930s, but is very light, built for 27” wheels, rear bridge is undrilled, 26.8mm seat post (nickel plated and came with it along with a nickel plated Williams chainset).
The only number I can find on the frame is 708 stamped on the underside of the BB shell. BB shell is 68mm.
The most unique feature is the reinforcing tubes brazed over the chainstays at the BB end, not uncommon but the shape and length should define a manufacturer – if only someone recoginises it.
Yellow paint inside the BB shell appears to be the original colour, a previous owner had stripped it and painted it light blue, the rear stays originally had chrome socks to match the head tube and lugs, Forks appear to be the original item and are all chrome.
It's going to get stripped back to metal all over and painted a nice shade of red, then built up with some nice parts as a single brake fix wheel.
Of course this will take some time but I'll update now and again.
Looking for a 31/32” headset lock nut in the Wanted section if anyone can help.

View attachment 647102View attachment 647104View attachment 647105View attachment 647106View attachment 647107View attachment 647108View attachment 647109View attachment 647110View attachment 647111
Hi there , I have just found one in a shed ! Been there since 1960 I was told , Lugless model 1955-6 but the frame number is WL 51 ???/ Nothing else just WL 51 ?????

Attachments

• DSC_1276.JPG
    DSC_1276.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_1275.JPG
    DSC_1275.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 8
Back