Crazy Chesini

I'm no expert but as it's early I think it was still in the time where picking up and carrying your bike was expected to be a thing. It still is if you ride Scottish drove roads.

I'm no expert but as it's early I think it was still in the time where picking up and carrying your bike was expected to be a thing. It still is if you ride Scottish drove roads.
Possibly, but generally when you shoulder a bike you have the top tube on your shoulder, then your arm under the top tube and hand on the bars to stabilise or for shorter distances just grab the downtube and pick-up. Ergonomically this loop doesn't seem to be in the right place? 🤷‍♂️

Drove roads - what a great term! Have just been talking to a neighbour earlier about a footpath beside our house the council is saying it doesn't own and our neighbour referring it to an old drove road... a phrase I haven't heard in such a long time and hearing it twice in one day!

1989 catalog pic
Chesini aus iko 1989.jpg

The text says that that the frame has a crank protection and carrying handle.

There are some builts with Capriolo frames in the German classic-bike forum like this one
It looks that this frame is a bit tricky to be used as a rider, because of the a bit uncommon geometry with very short top tube.

Last edited:
Do you think the chainring protector has a built in Failure point, or would just bend the frame if you hit a log hard enough to bend the chainring it's protecting?

Are framebuilders more readily available than chainrings??

This tall, slack&short shape was popular in the mid 80s and stuck around particularly on cheap bikes as the quality stuff, especially small UK builders, got long and low.

The italians of course are the original hipsters, so looking for a bike to cruise down to the cafe in some great- looking clothes - the bike needs to be a talking point.

Similar function to a trispoke on an urban fixie🤣

Possibly, but generally when you shoulder a bike you have the top tube on your shoulder, then your arm under the top tube and hand on the bars to stabilise or for shorter distances just grab the downtube and pick-up. Ergonomically this loop doesn't seem to be in the right place? 🤷‍♂️

I can see why you are puzzled. The loop is there to stop the chainring touching your body and either cutting you or ripping your jersey when carrying, it's not a handle.

Do you think the chainring protector has a built in Failure point, or would just bend the frame if you hit a log hard enough to bend the chainring it's protecting?

Are framebuilders more readily available than chainrings??

This tall, slack&short shape was popular in the mid 80s and stuck around particularly on cheap bikes as the quality stuff, especially small UK builders, got long and low.

The italians of course are the original hipsters, so looking for a bike to cruise down to the cafe in some great- looking clothes - the bike needs to be a talking point.

Similar function to a trispoke on an urban fixie🤣
I can only see damaged looptubes & downtubes happening when riding this bike.

Is what annoys me the most is that it's not even concentric with the BB shell and chainrings! 🤪

Got to love a trispoke on an urban fixie. They generally favour Aerospokes upfront and then a spoked wheel for all the functional spoke cards to be wedged in.

That's the biggest thing I miss about London, the eclectic mix of both bikes and riders. Was up there last week and saw a guy in a suit riding a 10K canyon TT bike with a rucksack on his back. Awesome stuff!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back