Cracked Frame?

most ally frames have a short shelf life anything beyond 5 years use should be viewed as a bonus.....

It was probably the way the headset was fitted, but if it doesn't make that noise anymore I personally wouldn't worry about it and continue riding it while keeping an eye on the area to spot any future defects. As far as Aluminum frames getting old and fragile, I have a 1991 Funk that gets regular thrashing with no adverse effects yet!

but if the paintwork shows signs of being stretched then i just wouldnt risk it.thats what i mean. :cool:

I've repainted it, I'm going to take it on a gentle ride and see if the paint cracks again to indicate movement!

gibbleking":mw04yn97 said:
my guess is the frame is about to fail and what you see there is where the paint has cracked .you wont see the crack in the frame because all thats going on is the alloy is stretching past the elastic point of the paint.this frame wont crack it will fail like carbon fibre jobs or ten year old kleins and snap completely..this because the bending in the alloy makes it harden until it wont bend then it willgo big time.dont ride the frame it might remove your teeth at the worst moment.imho.

This is a very good point...what would make the paint crack...stretching, of course...I need to refrain from answering questions at three in the morning.

Thanks for your replys.
I repainted the area that I had sanded down.
I took it for a bit of a rough ride, but nothing else has happened. I have now retired her.

I'm thinking about selling, is she worth much like this?
It might have just been marks in the paint, I really don't know!
I would probably show this thread to anyone interested in buying.

Back