Computer help required

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Bloody fssm32.exe is going haywire again,sits at 50% cpu usage if i do the slightest thing even opening TM logs up 20% for a second
fssm32.exe is the scan manager for talk talk[F-secure]security
I did the usual google and gleaned something about missing security system folders.

I have just scraped a trojan Zbot out my system but i also spotted the dropper before the zbot arrived so i knew to use all the free anti programs before doing anything that could compromise my paypal,ebay etc
Zbot is linked to criminal spyware to glean banking info
I was reading that it can hide out in your security software and do things like prevent you from updating it and even stop it working before it finishes a full scan.

So far it has deleted 60% of my bookmarks,removed all the paths that allow modzilla or IE to connect to the net and as a consequence slowed the games down to a slideshow :cry:

I'm thinking that it has also removed the f-secure files in the scan manager in an attempt to stop me finding it
What to do/run to make doubly sure that nasty little sod is gone :?
Re-install of the talk talk security?
Buy a copy of windows 7 replace everything and re-live the nightmare of remembering all those codes and passwords.
I've since run 3 full scans with spybot and malwarebytes after disabling system restore and deleting all previous points.Then switching it back on and marking a new point after the scans.So im pretty sure im clear at this point
Also downloaded security task manager but can see nothing other than the usual uber risky java doing its thang :roll:
I also have a paid copy of easy cleaner on board,i got pre-loaded on the computer and havent really got to grips with it as yet.And to be honest registry cleaners scare the willies out of me :LOL: even legit paid ones.
Any ideas?
And has anyone tried f-secures 'hot fixes'?

Ah man what a mare.
First of all have you tried malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ ?
EDIT just seen you have. Run it in safe mode, but really you could be at it forever trying to get every bit clean.

Second, this is the very reason i finally jumped with both feet after years of flirting with Linux and ive not looked back since. I'd go for http://www.ubuntu.com/ as its the most user friendly. It will allow a dual boot system so you choose to boot to windows or linux meaning you can keep a windows system for those games, but for surfing stick with Ubuntu and you don't need any anti virus!

You can also get light versions of linux that boot from CD or USB sticks and just run in RAM, such as SLAX and Puppy.

Ubuntu works for me, quick easy and no worries.
You can boot from a disc and try it out before installing.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I now have an urge to Linux my Ubutu....

sounds safe whatever it is? My Norton ran out ages ago and i think im running Spybot only. I reckon someone will be living it up in Barbados in my name soon. right?

Cripes, ive just realised how little I know. Thanks guys! :roll:

KeepItSteel":2wqou6zg said:
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I now have an urge to Linux my Ubutu....

sounds safe whatever it is? My Norton ran out ages ago and i think im running Spybot only. I reckon someone will be living it up in Barbados in my name soon. right?

Cripes, ive just realised how little I know. Thanks guys! :roll:

Go on, you'll never look back. "Ubuntu" is a word that means "Your humanity is a part of my humanity". It's brilliant. All of this creativity and knowledge, focused into something truly worthwhile, which you can get for nothing. You'll need never use Windows again.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Not that I would want to sway your decision. :p

Safe mode is no guarantee of success, I've just spent what seems like forever cleaning up a Laptop which was riddled with Spyware and MalwareBytes and Super Antispyware were both unable to find some of it while the system was running, whether in Safe mode or not. It was only when I dropped the disk in as a slave on my own system and re-scanned it with Kaspersky AV that the final infections were found and removed.

There was another app which installed into the Windows\System32 folder as SDRA64 or SDRA73 which was undetected by both Antispyware apps while running.

if you have a safe back up (not that many of us do) of your data, best bet is a clean install of your OS.

is talk talk security a requirement? it doesn't sound very good

Back