Complete rebuild of 1990's MTB to 2016 XT spec 1x10

With regard to the comfort (or otherwise) of your first 10 mile ride.

Two things spring to mind.

One, as mentioned above, you will take a little while to adjust to being on a bike without it hurting.

Two, those Brooks saddles are generally understood to have a 300 mile +/- break-in period. Once it is broken in, there'll be nothing to touch it for comfort though.

Though it has to be said, if it's massively uncomfortable on Day one, it's not going to get much better 300 miles' later.

Great build thread though. Can't believe you've done so much in so little time.

Re:

groovyblueshed":2khs4m94 said:
I reckon NewRider would be perfectly capable of whittling up some kind of disc brake or other combo in addition... ;)

As I read through this marvellous build thread I was coming to the same conclusion as groovyblueshed that you would be perfectly capable of coming up with some kind of modification to improve the braking performance. I can't wait to see what it is :cool:

A 1x11 Apollo :shock: with a Brooks saddle :shock: I know you'll enjoy riding it. Brilliant. Now, what's your next project? :cool:

Re: Re:

michael franks":2e9ymx64 said:
groovyblueshed":2e9ymx64 said:
I reckon NewRider would be perfectly capable of whittling up some kind of disc brake or other combo in addition... ;)

As I read through this marvellous build thread I was coming to the same conclusion as groovyblueshed that you would be perfectly capable of coming up with some kind of modification to improve the braking performance. I can't wait to see what it is :cool:

A 1x11 Apollo :shock: with a Brooks saddle :shock: I know you'll enjoy riding it. Brilliant. Now, what's your next project? :cool:

I have been having a think as to what the next project should be and if truth be told I really don't know. The brakes seem to perform really well and a few friends have tried the bike now and they have all been impressed with it which is great. I am however thinking of two ideas for projects.

1, Design my own replacement set of brakes for the bike...

2, Had crazy idea of designing a 1x system that uses interlinked adjusting diameter cogs so gear changing could occur without a derailleur...

groovyblueshed":2ngjtjaw said:
and has anyone tried those new-fangled Cambium saddles from Brooks?

I nearly brought one of those thinking it would be an interesting modern twist on the Brooks theme. However anyone in the store at the time told me not to do it as they don't flex in the same way as the leather and upkeep would be a lot harder. In the end I decided to play safe with my B17 version

pinguwin":1uyegwuj said:
I may have missed it but haven't noticed any mention of decals. Surely if you have access to a water jet, you can make some custom vinyl cut decals.

Have you considered water jet cutting the decals? That would be super unique.

At present I have decided to leave the bike completely plain and just let the paint job do the work. I like the clean look of the bike and think that graphics might ruin it. Also what I put on the bike in the way of graphics?

NewRider":2ylk5zxy said:
I have been having a think as to what the next project should be and if truth be told I really don't know. The brakes seem to perform really well and a few friends have tried the bike now and they have all been impressed with it which is great. I am however thinking of two ideas for projects.

2, Had crazy idea of designing a 1x system that uses interlinked adjusting diameter cogs so gear changing could occur without a derailleur...

Now that one ^^ I am looking forward to reading about !!

NewRider":3mrhgltt said:
groovyblueshed":3mrhgltt said:
and has anyone tried those new-fangled Cambium saddles from Brooks?

I nearly brought one of those thinking it would be an interesting modern twist on the Brooks theme. However anyone in the store at the time told me not to do it as they don't flex in the same way as the leather and upkeep would be a lot harder. In the end I decided to play safe with my B17 version

Just been watching Brooks' video about the Cambium, which of course tastefully sells it on its simplicity, durability and very flexible comfort. I've often felt tempted to try one but they seemed rock hard like their traditional leather saddles and I don't think I've got enough decades left in me to ride it in – so, it's interesting what the bike shop people said about them. So far, I've used a Vetta Trishock bought in 1993 which lasted til a rail broke in November 2012, and since worn through two Charge Spoons which are nice comfy but the coverings don't last long.

Regarding the decals, the Apollo Laser graphics weren't that inspiring – either keep the frame bare or may be get repro Apollo decals (scaled down from the original's size) for just the down tube...

Hi Guys

I could do with some advice...

I am finding the brakes on the bike fine but I have looked at the dual pivot design and can see some advantages, especially around the self centring as mine always seem to end up rubbing the one side of the wheel. I can adjust it and it is fine but goes back to rubbing, which in itself is not a problem but as the bike is so quiet the sound of this rubbing annoys me. I was thinking of designing / making my own version but not sure if this is a waste of energy when bike brakes are not expensive. ( might still do it but not sure... ). Either way I need to find a dual pivot brake that has a 90mm gap between the centre line of the securing bolt to the centre of the brake pad. New brakes versions are clearly all for road bikes so does anyone have a old mountain bike which has this size!

Thanks

Maybe you could make an adapter to fit cantilever studs to you fork/frame. I am thinking about something similar to this:

file.php

Its an 26" to 28" adapter. You would need to have a hole at the top of the arch. For the bolt that now holds your single pivot brakes. And two additional clamps that go around the fork/frame tubes to hold the lower ends.

Just to though about an idea...

Back