Columbus EL & EL-OS = Reynolds ?

Mr Weirdo

Retro Guru
Hello

I own an EL & EL-OS Columbus framed bicycle. Does any one have an opinion on what Reynolds steel this is comparable/equal to?

I know it may not be a straight forward answer but worth a go?

Many thanks.

Not easily compared. For me, I haven't ridden a Reynolds tubed frame that matches the feel of an EL-OS frame, but it's as much about geometry and builder as it is about frame material and tube size/thickness. A Tommasini Tecno is still my favourite steel oversized tubed frame to ride, followed by a Pinarello Banesto with Oria ML34 if you like the regular gauge. I also have 2 x Reynolds 753 framed bikes - a Rourke ex pro-frame and a Dave Yates built Joe Waugh which I like too, but in a different way.

Thankyou for your reply. I think your right it is hard to do a straight forward comparison. I'm not an experienced rider and this is the first time I have owned a Columbus steel bicycle. I know it's light but I can't really compare it's riding character to my Reynolds 531 framed bicycles though it does feel a bit twitcher. I put that down to it's lightness. I must admit the finish and the construction of the frame appears superior to my 531s. I have never ridden any 753s as I don't have that sort of money lol.

Thankyou for your reply. I think your right it is hard to do a straight forward comparison. I'm not an experienced rider and this is the first time I have owned a Columbus steel bicycle. I know it's light but I can't really compare it's riding character to my Reynolds 531 framed bicycles though it does feel a bit twitcher. I put that down to it's lightness. I must admit the finish and the construction of the frame appears superior to my 531s. I have never ridden any 753s as I don't have that sort of money lol.
If you like a springy lightweight frame, then EL OS is a great choice; to my mind it rides bumps really well ("magic carpet ride") and it feels like it gives back some of the energy you put in. I had two EL OS bikes, and although similar, the feel was not identical and this I put down to the construction. I can't comment on Columbus EL- not ridden one!

The frame I have is a Concorde. It's forks are EL and the frame is EL-OS. I've read and I don't know if this is true but an EL only frame was found to be not that strong hence the development of EL OS. Enjoy your cycling!

The frame I have is a Concorde. It's forks are EL and the frame is EL-OS. I've read and I don't know if this is true but an EL only frame was found to be not that strong hence the development of EL OS. Enjoy your cycling!
Both my EL OS frames had EL forks so I think that's standard. I have a recollection that EL frames had a max rider weight recommendation.

Yes I've read about the weight thing...I have an image in my mind of a cyclist sitting on their bicycle and slowly sinking to the floor as the bicycle wheels fold inwards 🤓

Back