Columbus MAX or Reynolds...?

Nice bike Fifthgrace.

I also found the Roberts build video on youtube, makes for a fantastic looking bike, right in my sweet spot, modern running gear on older steel frameset.

If you did fancy the Max frameset on Hilary Stone's website you'd need to cold set the rear stays to accept modern 130mm hubs, I'm not sure how Max would respond to this? (done it with 531c with no adverse results).

I haven't yet found the Hilary Stone object on the web. I am commited to a project i've started to finally put together, so all the extra coppers i had are tied up in that.

....but seriously, here's my own MAX frame in original Dura Ace guise and then updated to Campagnolo 10 speed. Suitable eye-candy for any cafe stop I'd agree on that.
That is a beautiul frame - love the colour.

Is there any reason you have mounted the downtube cable guides upside down?

That's a dream frame FG, I'd love something like that. Good colour too
Believe it or not I put it up for sale as a whole bike and it didn't sell, so had to strip it down to frame + parts which is something I would only do as a last resort. The frame was immaculate and was purchased new from the Simoncini importer- I think based in Ledbury (told to me by the original owner). As I said, beautiful to look at- the most stunning marble paint effect over Nickel, but just wasn't my favourite rider.

That is a beautiul frame - love the colour.

Is there any reason you have mounted the downtube cable guides upside down?
It was how it came to me, and I probably just transferred over what was there already when I rebuilt it. One of my early frame builds.

Last edited:
I believe MAX used box section down tubes and more rectangular box style seat stays. .8/.5/.8mm tubing profile. Total weight 1880g for a 56cm frame c-t.

Reynolds 631 used oversized round down tubes and quite beefy but round seat and chainstays. My Bob Jackson 631 frame weighs a ballpark 2000g (55cm c-t)

I MAX frame i once owned (some obscure italian brand...who's name deceives me atm) seemed a little more rigid than the Bob Jackson 631, which seems more 'plush'.

I believe MAX used box section down tubes and more rectangular box style seat stays. .8/.5/.8mm tubing profile. Total weight 1880g for a 56cm frame c-t.

Reynolds 631 used oversized round down tubes and quite beefy but round seat and chainstays. My Bob Jackson 631 frame weighs a ballpark 2000g (55cm c-t)

I MAX frame i once owned (some obscure italian brand...who's name deceives me atm) seemed a little more rigid than the Bob Jackson 631, which seems more 'plush'.
Max has elliptical (oval) tubing - vertical at the front of top and down tubes, and horizontal at the back end of the tubes. Plus oversized chain stays. It had no comparison at the time, though many people copied it. I don’t think there is a Reynolds equivalent - Max has a cult following and people will pay a premium for this tube set.

Max has elliptical (oval) tubing - vertical at the front of top and down tubes, and horizontal at the back end of the tubes. Plus oversized chain stays. It had no comparison at the time, though many people copied it. I don’t think there is a Reynolds equivalent - Max has a cult following and people will pay a premium for this tube set.
I have also come to the conclusion that people are prepared to pay a lot of money for them. Maybe one day i will find out for myself instead of just reading about just how good they are.

While we're on the subject, i have a suspision that Columbus EL OS might be comparable to MAX. It appears to have a similar shape but i am open to be enlightened.
Another thought i've had is if MAX is as good as the the pros who have ridden on bikes with this tubing say it is, then why doesn't Columbus start making it again? It ought to be very attractive for those who want to build a Neo Retro with a new frame.

Back