The ones that got away.....

Fifthgrace

Retro Guru
Trawling through some "old" pics of steel bikes, and took a nostalgic detour with some bikes that didn't make it into my final stable. The crux of the matter was that they weren't quite as enjoyable to ride as other bikes I owned, but at times it was close call....so here's the ones that didn't quite make the cut, but were still great bikes: Stephen Roche Bioracer (Columbus EL OS) with Shimano Ultegra Century grey groupset, Pinarello Replica Banesto (I think it was Pinarello's own tubing and Mirage/ Avanti Groupset) , Simoncini Super Record (Columbus Max) with Dura Ace 7400, Grandis SL with a C-Record era Chorus Groupset and Mavic SSC blues. The Simoncini had the nicest paint job I've ever seen, and I do miss the Grandis because the spec was very original. What do you regret moving on?

Attachments

• P1040886b[1].JPG
    P1040886b[1].JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 37
  • P1060102.JPG
    P1060102.JPG
    341.4 KB · Views: 32
  • P1010555.JPG
    P1010555.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 38
  • GrandisA1.JPG
    GrandisA1.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 39
This was years before I got interested in retro bicycles, they were just affordable second hands. But two bicycles I regret letting go: my Gazelle Tour de l'Avenir and my Koga Miyata Grantourer. The Gazelle had started to rust under the paint, under the downtube. and I didn't like the idea of stripping it, paining and finding the right decals for it. Wrong decision because the geometry and size were perfect. The Koga was officially a size too small, but looking back now it was plenty big enough. (picture is not my Gazelle) Tdel'A.jpg P6040003.JPG

That Grandis is a beauty! Wouldn't have let that go!
Agreed. I've kept a Grandis Campione del Mondo, built from a frame and fork up with Galli and Record components that I rode in L'Eroica - I was just that more emotionally invested in this one...but very close call with those chrome lugs and chainstays! n+1 was getting out of hand.

Attachments

• P1050024a.jpg
    P1050024a.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 3
  • P1050044a.jpg
    P1050044a.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
This was years before I got interested in retro bicycles, they were just affordable second hands. But two bicycles I regret letting go: my Gazelle Tour de l'Avenir and my Koga Miyata Grantourer. The Gazelle had started to rust under the paint, under the downtube. and I didn't like the idea of stripping it, paining and finding the right decals for it. Wrong decision because the geometry and size were perfect. The Koga was officially a size too small, but looking back now it was plenty big enough. (picture is not my Gazelle)View attachment 663865View attachment 663866
Always liked the Gazelle models with the matching panto parts. Might stray towards one of these too!

I still have the stephen roche bike I bought from you and I'm considering selling it as its not getting much use these days so if you would like to be reunited with it just let me know.

Thanks for the offer, that frame is really a one-off, nobody has ever contacted me with another like it. However, I'm under pressure to release one or two more from my own collection as my interests have migrated to the 50s and 60s (in line with my age!).

Back