Columbus MAX or Reynolds...?

Dicky71

Retro Guru
Hello all you knowledgeable Retro Gurus out there.
Is there a Reynolds equivalent to Columbus MAX?
I have come to the conclusion that if I'm going to build another bike then it might be my last, especially if my fantastic wife has any say in the matter.
The only problem is the economical part of the equation. Columbus MAX frames are, as you probably are already aware of, expensive. Is there somebody out there that has already done the research, know of a Reynolds equivalent?

Hi,

obviously the usefulness of this reply will be entirely dependent on whether it's your size or not, but there's a max frameset on hilary stone's website that seems good value (I know I keep going back to take a look and trying to think of reasons not to buy it). It's in the framesets 'italian 56cm or smaller' section.

Matt

Last edited:
Hi Matt.
Iirc Hillary Stone is in the U.S.A. Buying stuff from the states is usually quite expensive when the import duties and taxes are paid. I appreciate the tip.
If there is a Reynolds equivalent, then I might consider hunting it down. If there isn't, then I would need to win the euro jackpot.

I saw an interesting video on Youtube today. A journalist that works at Cycling Weekly, made a film about a frame he bought and then built a cracking "café racer". Have a guess at which tubing it was built with.

I suppose i can give you a little help, it has something to do with the title of the thread. Clue nr.2; Roberts frame. Good Luck everyone 🙂.

....but seriously, here's my own MAX frame in original Dura Ace guise and then updated to Campagnolo 10 speed. Suitable eye-candy for any cafe stop I'd agree on that.

Attachments

• P1010553.JPG
    P1010553.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010593.JPG
    P1010593.JPG
    982.3 KB · Views: 31
  • sim1.JPG
    sim1.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 33
Back