Claud Butler European 1959 transfers

1959, CB SE20 head badge AND seat tube?
Hello @awac
Yes that decal was used on the seat tube and occasionally on the head but typically only on track/path bikes.
Your bike would more likely have had the riveted stamped metal badge also sold by Lloyds

EDIT…. Some of the smaller frames didn’t have enough space on the head for the metal badge, they had the graphic instead

Last edited:
Hello @awac
Yes that decal was used on the seat tube and occasionally on the head but typically only on track/path bikes.
Your bike would more likely have had the riveted stamped metal badge also sold by Lloyds

EDIT…. Some of the smaller frames didn’t have enough space on the head for the metal badge, they had the graphic instead
Hello Peacy, thank you for your reply,

The text implies that the Claud Headplate is already being fitted, though pics do not show it. The European looks to have a seat tube decal applied on the head tube, as on the very earliest Holdsworthy Clauds”.
I can not see any rivet holes on the inside of the head tube, so I am thinking it must be one of the transfers. I think in that first year after buying the trademark it must have been more like a scene from Dad’s Army, running around shouting “Don’t panic”.

I have also had the advice “Since yours is also a 1959, if you are going to get a riveted-on head-badge, be sure you get the one that has a yellow ring in the upper left. The Clapham ones have a red ring in that position” (from 1989pre on bike forum).

Are vintage cycles a cure for ocd? Hmmm.

Hello Peacy, thank you for your reply,

The text implies that the Claud Headplate is already being fitted, though pics do not show it. The European looks to have a seat tube decal applied on the head tube, as on the very earliest Holdsworthy Clauds”.
I can not see any rivet holes on the inside of the head tube, so I am thinking it must be one of the transfers. I think in that first year after buying the trademark it must have been more like a scene from Dad’s Army, running around shouting “Don’t panic”.

I have also had the advice “Since yours is also a 1959, if you are going to get a riveted-on head-badge, be sure you get the one that has a yellow ring in the upper left. The Clapham ones have a red ring in that position” (from 1989pre on bike forum).

Are vintage cycles a cure for ocd? Hmmm.
No. They're a cause. None of us are immune!

Back