Classic Bianchi

Re:

It didn't look like an X4 to me but zooming in now I'm not sure. The easiest way to tell is, if it has an investment cast headtube (like an engraved head badge filled with paint). Then check for aerofoil fork blades and seat stays. There are a few different brake bridges - Silva being the most common. If you can post some pics on the seat lug and head tube, it would help to ID it

have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=380183

The headtube badge in itself isnt a deal breaker. I had thought that initially, but it seems that there were "team" bikes produced with a headtube decal.

The chromed fork crown, the internal routing, the up to 88 decal style and what looks like the correct seatstay ends are what made me think X4 from that one pic. The groupset is a red herring.

Its not the best photograph to work from, so more pics would of course make it easier to be sure.

In addition to the ones mentioned by JSH above, left, right and underneath pics of bottom bracket might help prove/disprove my theory.

There isn't much info on the X4 on the internet apart from one man's research - very good info but very little to corroborate it.

The fork blades and seat stays look correct - as does the fork crown engraving.

The things to look for that are fairly common are: Rear gear cable routing (in at the bottom of the chain stay by the BB and out at the top by the dropout. Drilled gusset between the chain stays rather than a bridge. Pump peg on the back of the headtube. Bullet seat stay cams with engraved Bianchi script.

I didn't know you could get an X4 without investment cast lug set - that's a new one on me!

If it is an X4, I agree its worth restoring. Definitely C- Record if you have deep pockets and you could even consider the Argentin paint scheme.

I agree there's not much written about X4's, but I must have looked at over 200 pics of X4's last night. The variation in subtle details was incredible (although I couldn't be absolutely sure I was looking at the 87 or 88 versions in many cases)

I'm about 90% sure this is an X4. Even if its not, its unquestionably a very high-end frameset from its day and well worth restoring.

lol I.ve just been looking at an original Argentin on eBay and it doesn't have the gusseted stays. What do I know?

This one looks to be a bit small for me - else I'd be bidding the OP on it :D

Thanks all, they're some great info to go on there. I'll be picking it up this week so will be able to post some better pics then.

It certainly is tempting to go down the C Record road.

Back