Charity shop Saracen - help needed !

majoreyeswater

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all.

Just returned from a trip to a local charity shop. I knew i'd buy something - I always do :roll:

Right at the back and looking all forlorn was this bike. A Saracen Sahara :) As usual I just couldn't resist and parted with the princely sum of 15 quid. Niiiiiiiiice :LOL: Shoved my daughter to one side of the Fiesta and squeezed the old bike in (just).

Now, what do I do next ? With three bike projects on the go she'll have to hurry up and wait i'm afraid ! But there's a lot of original stuff on the bike and I like the colour. Loads of surface rust as well :shock:

Question - What year is she ? Any ideas ? I have no idea when it comes to Saracens. Tried to find a serial number but can't at the moment. Nice bit of British Steel to keep as original as possible me thinks :cool:

Anyway, here's some piccies.

P4140090.jpg

P4140091.jpg

P4140092.jpg

P4140093.jpg

P4140094.jpg

P4140095.jpg

P4140096.jpg

P4140097.jpg

P4140098.jpg

P4140099.jpg

P4140102.jpg

P4140103.jpg

P4140101.jpg

Cheers for now.........Steve.

dump the drivetrain

keep the stem/ bars

service the BB, hubs

replace the cassette

300LX mechs/ cranks are still easy to come by, light and period without blowing any budgets.

Thumbies and posh brakes will give you a nice commuter or pub bike

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Got some Karma cantilvers I can whack out to your neck of the woods if you want them.

Check ebay for NNOS 200GS, tis the season for it!

For £15 it's the ideal pub bike status symbol, the fixie crew are dropping all their mung bean ways and taking to geared pub bikes in their droves, the long hairs and emos queuing up outside the chemist for razor blades will let a bit of wee out in excitement.

Get some NNOS on there and get posing.

Yes the decals look very much like a 1992 model. The frame looks nearly identical to my 1991 Sahara, so I guess it would have just been a colour and decal change for the 1992 model year, as the groupset is also the same.

I agree that you'd be as well to ditch the 200GS kit, and in my opinion, single-speed it as a pub/hack bike. The slotted drop-out works great for a low budget conversion.

Here's mine:

91Sahara09.jpg

You beat me by a whole quid on price though with yours. :LOL:

Back