Chains-Shimano, KMC, Sram and Wippermann

Re: Re:

Spibblo":2vmybz86 said:
I have a Wippermann connex 9 speed chain on my crosser. I like! Strong and resistant to corrosion (more so than others I've used). The connex connecting link is easy to separate too, I've never had to struggle to split the chain unlike the sram link which I find hard. A bit pricier than some but still under the £40 you were thinking of spending on the Yumeya

I would have thought the yumeya would be really light and that was reason for interest in it but the connex came up on a search for them and then this and that so I thought id just ask you all. I have to preference to any.

During the googling I did see a lot of positives about the connector and that's something I hadn't though of but have struggled to the point of splitting as normal with the quick links seeming to jam too tight for anything other than the specific tool.

greencat":2vmybz86 said:
FluffyChicken":2vmybz86 said:
greencat":2vmybz86 said:
Shimano XTR 9 speed are pretty good. I wouldn't bother with anything cheaper from Shimano.

why what make sthe XTR special ?

I just buy the KMC X9, used to get the all siver but being generally wet here mud rips them to bits and they have a tendancy to rust, the do have a new EPT (or some accronym) to help prevent that. So I just get the cheapest X9 whic was about 6 or to 8 quid at CRC.

Alwy wanted a L or SL version to save weight but they perform no better (how can they)
The various version I've seen people use, the pins and holes just fill with mud in the side plate gaps.

So somewhere I now don't bother to bling a lot, but somewhere to make sure does it's job.

Just found I wasn't getting more than about 3 months out of even XT ones. The XTR/Dura-ace last around 9 months doing the same level of riding. YMM(literally)V.

Ive also found the higher end shimano to be pretty much the same as mid level and its those im usually using. They get very slack very quick

Again I hold my hands up to not thinking this through and being taken with the hollow pin weight. However I didn't think that they'd just fill up :LOL: :facepalm: That's something we all should take note of. This isn't roasting hot Europe.

firedfromthecircus":2vmybz86 said:
Sram 991 with the all nickel plated links is very good at resisting rust. They come up on offer at CRC fairly regularly so you can get them for not much more than a tenner.
I find the coating of nickel is thin and wears quickly. Might be better now but I found that the side plates became spotty quickly. And I do look after my stuff so its only the odd occasion I don't wipe the chain and re lube.

Re:

I really wish the mobile skin was easier to type and edit in, I would then bother to fix typos and things. Until then you have to use some guess work :)

talking of chain wear which is easy enough to check with the chain gauge - what about cassettes? can you check wear on those (with a tool) rather than just with the eye....

cassette and rings, just tension the system and check the chain touches all teeth and no gaps (push the lower point and it shouldn't be able to move sort of thing.)

I guess ramping and profiles make it a bit more difficult.

Latest posts

Back