Chains - recommendations please

More proof that Shimano HG are kak......twisted/broke one last night on a night ride (and it was less than 80 miles old) :roll:

Sorry to hijack this, but I see KMC do a heavy duty version of their SS chain.
Has anyone used it? Double the price of their other one, but I'd be happy to pay that for reliability.

I like SRAM chains :roll:

I've found KMC, Shimano and YBN to be really cack. Wippermans were good but my favouite are the 8spd and 9spd Sram ones - spend the cash and get the better all nickle coated ones as they last longer ie PC890 and PC991 (In my experience).

I use a Rohloff tool and the Sram chains stretch/wear less quickly than the others... again... in my experience.

I changed lubes a couple of years ago to Rock&Roll extreme and I am very impressed with how much longer my drivetrains are now lasting.

2608.jpg

If you won't buy Sram go Wipperman or try the Rohloff. I would love to try a Rohloff but I struggle with £20-30 a chain never mind £45... and wiggle don't have stock - good luck!

For 10spd what about Mavic, FSA or Campag?

I'd buy an 8 speed chain as there is a greater range available, and will work fine with a 7 speed cassette.

I use Shimano IG70/90 with a Powerlink and have no prob's. I've never used KMC or Wipperman so can't recommend those.

For the my P20, Yeti 575 and C40, they all get Dura Ace. Its the best shifting i've found. The rest get SRAM. The Bonty has some half link thing on it, which i'm not convinced by the join, but its been fine for some months now, it hasn't been ridden since it was put on, but its fine :LOL:

I have heard good things about the KMC and i've seen/felt how smooth the new ones are on a drivetrain ;)

Sram KMC Connex wipperman. Basically the cheapest of the lot. And I just throw em every few months before the cassette etc wear. ark chain cheker helps keep an eye out too.

Ahh, the sedis chain, the best BITD, but as sachs etc died, sedis chains evaporated. . :(

Back