My Cove Stiffee 2000 -2001

BigBailey74

Retro Newbie
Hi guys ,May I introduce you to my cove Stiffee fr. I brought this in about 2000 after being persuaded by my LBS (two wheels cycles) to buy one instead of a Santa Cruz chameleon .It was one of the first of this type to come into the UK from Canada and as you can see by the pics the rear brake is in a rather unusual place... This has been a nightmare in the last 15 years or so as it SERIOUSLY limits the brake I choose for it due to the adaptor that was made at the time to fit the Hope C2 rear brake,.,. It was originally white and had Marzochi Z1 X-fly forks on it, and Chris King hubs on Mavic rims before them swapping to my Santa Cruz super light .
I raced and rode the Cove for about 3 years like this and even did a couple of 24 hour Redbull races on it. Superb, mega responsive and agile bike on single track. Very nimble to climb on too. Brilliant all round steed that was as good on single track as on a pump/jump track.
In 2004 I went through a divorce forcing me to sell many of my toys, this was one and was gutted to let it go , However in about 2009 I was offered it back , albeit in a sorry state... It was here that I completely stripped the bike, had it re powder coated in that years Cove team colours (candy apple green) and fully re build it with bits lying around in my bike cave.
In 2010 I was told just before spinal surgery that I would not ever ride bikes again so once again the bike was sold- this time to one of my customers at work. I managed to make a recovery from the back operation and although riding more modern bikes for the last 5 years or so I recently jumped at the chance to get my bike back when my customer was getting rid of it. As you can see the bikes in great condition as he hardly touched it in the 12 years or so.. I've so far T-cutted the paint, and degreased, re applied grease and lube to the drive chain. It still rides mint and the only thing wrong is the rear brake that looks like it is seized. I have pushed in the piston with a piston iron and it now allows the back wheel to free wheel. Look forward to tackling this when the seals come.
Spec below,,.

Raceface evolve xc seatpost
Easton EA70 stem (Looks about 70-90mm)
Raceface Next carbon bars 10 degree rise
Hope c2 open front/rear brakes... (need attention)
SDG bel air SL "tiger fur" saddle
Blackspire headset
Mavic crossride wheels
Shwalbe Nobby nick evo 26 x 2.1"
Shimano XTR front and rear mechs
Shimano XT triple chainset 44-32-22
Shimano XT shifters
Shimano XTR cassette 9 speed 9-34
Sram pc971 chain (the only thing on this bike not brought by myself as previous owner managed to snap chain twice)
Fox Talas RL air sprung , Height adjustable forks with lockout
Raceface "good n evil" grips, my choice of grips for years and even used to hunt for them on line after shops not stocking them,
DMR v8 peddles (odd as I ALWAYS rode V12s- all I can assume is I swapped them before selling the bike)
Jagwire all weather gear cable protector seal kit installed on cables.
Skewers are "zero carbon fibre " and look too modern- looking for a pair of Hope or Salsa as on bike when I used it...

Found a bolt missing on the chain set rings.. Had one of the original ones off the bike still in my parts box to repair- SORTED!!
Bike rides awesome after adding a few PSI into the front fork. Like mentioned , just the daunting task of rebuilding the 22 year old brakes.....

Hope you like it...Any questions feel free to ask..

Attachments

• IMG_8003.jpeg
    IMG_8003.jpeg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7997.jpeg
    IMG_7997.jpeg
    443.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8006.jpeg
    IMG_8006.jpeg
    628.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8010.jpeg
    IMG_8010.jpeg