Chains - recommendations please

Benandemu":1k9bbqjc said:
Snapped them all but, Rohloff.

You'll never change it again. I promise you. A bit more money, but totally awesome. Sram, Shimano, KMC and Wippermann do not stack up to this chain. I tried the above cheaper alternatives, but they really are rubbish. They kill drivetrains, snap and leave you stranded in middle earth. I have been using my Rohloff for 2 years now (which is so far the record for a chain) and according to the stretch indicator, it hasn't moved. Other chains recorded stretch after a couple of months. Soon as they stretch, they damage everything...Cassettes, chainrings, jockey wheels and finally your wallet.

second that, you pay a bit more for sustainabilty ;)

Yes, it's still available. I'm in need of a few for my builds as they reach the end.
I order mine through LBS. I think they are available through wiggle as well for approx £44.
They are available on ebay.de as well, and a little cheaper sometimes. The chain checker is about £15 usually.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Wipperman Connex, the nickel plated ones, NOT the stainless steel ones. The stainless last a couple rides but the nickel plated ones have outlasted my Shimano & Sram chains.

If you cassette and front chain rings are fairly new, the Wipperman will last a long time. If on the other hand if your cassette and front chain rings are not fresh, then the Wipperman chain will destroy them.

Ran Rohloff SLT 99 back in the day snapped it :( and was no better than 7401/HG90 from Shimano.
Never used them again as they where not worth the money.
Sachs/Sedis it was for me.

Now after a long time in between i'm going to try KMC.

Back