Caught one of my white whales - NOS 1993 Manitou FS

Re: Re:

jimi911":189pc7p5 said:
Thanks guys!

I really do love this thing. It's pretty from every angle.

It has a diacompe threadset in it now (I think), which doesn't look bad, it's just the coolness factor - a CK headset would be kickass. I'm going to leave it in. Terrfifed of cracking it.

Ya gotta ask yourself, how much more that 'coolness factor' will increase your use and enjoyment of the bike over time (prolly not all that much); and so ... is it really worth the risk of messing around with trying to change it ...

Unless, of course, you're totally OCD. ;)

Re: Re:

k-rod":17oi1udq said:
jimi911":17oi1udq said:
Thanks guys!

I really do love this thing. It's pretty from every angle.

It has a diacompe threadset in it now (I think), which doesn't look bad, it's just the coolness factor - a CK headset would be kickass. I'm going to leave it in. Terrfifed of cracking it.

Ya gotta ask yourself, how much more that 'coolness factor' will increase your use and enjoyment of the bike over time (prolly not all that much); and so ... is it really worth the risk of messing around with trying to change it ...

Unless, of course, you're totally OCD. ;)

Yeah - In a perfect world I'd do it, but these things are like a Fabergé egg. Honestly, this is a wall hanger. I had no issues riding and enjoying the NOS Adroit, but this thing only rolls if I am pushing it :LOL:

Re:

So what is the mystery crank Jim? :D

Silver JoyStix? M900? Both would be great. I wouldn't touch that headset either. It works and I like the silver stack up front. If you go JoyStix, maybe some turq Grafton perches for some M900 shifters would tie it together. Splendid build regardless. Hopoe to see it in the flesh some day.

Re:

It's a custom one. A reproduction my friend may be making. I'm still not sure he'll be able to do it.

I tried a set of grafton, but I thought it wasn't beefy enough. M900 wasn't geometric so they sort of clashed a bit - the carambas are pretty nice. Right shape.

I've got some fancy levers and perches coming :)

Re:

The only problem with this frame is the top tube decals. I'd bet the original builder decided to clamp the tt over the decals and damaged them.

Velocals makes some nice replacements albeit more for late 93-94.

Just restored these last week - wrong shape for the frame but definitely the right colour combo :D

Re:

Some more blue ...

Gorilla Billet Pods and some avid and grafton hangers - I'll probably go avid ... more period correct)

Re:

It's done for now. I'll do an nice photoshoot for it when I get some time and better light. Just don't expect ride shots ;)

Frame: NOS Manitou FS

Fork: NOS Manitou 3

Headset: Diacompe
Stem: NOS Answer A-Tac
Handlebar: NOS Answer Taperlite
Grips: ODI

Brakes: NOS XTR M900 with NOS American CNC braces and Ultimate Bolts
Brake Pads: Koolstop
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: NOS Avid
Brake Levers: Gravity Research

Shifters: XTR M900 In Gorilla Billet Pods