Caught one of my white whales - NOS 1993 Manitou FS

Re:

Yeah - it actually had an odd mix of parts when it was in the wall at the store. The guy that bought it swapped all the parts for xtr m900 less the crank, which is mid 90s vintage as you say.

I'll take a look in my crank inventory. The obvious choice is grafton joystix, but I sorta feel like I've gone to that well enough. They are nicely shaped for the frame though ... Definitely needs to be an era crank with some geometric lines IMO.

Ok ... Off goes the really period incorrect stuff.

Both the bar ends and boosters are modern. They don't look terrible, but I'll find something more fitting.

The boosters have been replaced by something more American - literally - NOS American CNCed boosters. Lovely stuff. I'll likely do these turquoise.

Shim found, and the crank should be awesome if and when I get it - albeit months from now.

Not sure I have the balls to do a headset change. I'd really love a CK, but it could be risky.

That's great Jim. Like others have stated, one of the all time best FS bikes ever produced. Glad I finally found your post here. I thought I was going to be limited to your IG post! Enjoy and congrats.

What a way to find your unicorn; NOS :)
I wouldn't dare to change the headset either, if it crackes you will never forgive yourself.
What set is in it now?

Re:

Lovely build and definitely the best looking full susser ever made!

I had the matching Answer Hyperends in blue as well :facepalm: :LOL:

Re:

Thanks guys!

I really do love this thing. It's pretty from every angle.

It has a diacompe threadset in it now (I think), which doesn't look bad, it's just the coolness factor - a CK headset would be kickass. I'm going to leave it in. Terrfifed of cracking it.

Re:

Some progress ...

Subtract all the modern blue bar ends and braces, newer contenental tires, grips, and seat

Add NOS American Braces, ODI grips, NOS Ritchey MegaBites, and new Flite Ti saddle.

Still waiting on the crank and some other bits.

Re:

Gotta be a contender for prettiest bike ever made. Not digging the rims tbh. Sadly it's a bike I'm unlikely ever to get a chance to test ride let alone own due to the known issues. Still remember a kid turning up on one at Epping Forest in the early 90s all tricked out in 3DV. Maaaan I was green :LOL:

Re:

These are better then advertised looks wise. Just ever little cnc bit on them is amazing.

It's a pure garage queen. I won't ride it a cm. It's just too risky.

I'm on the fence on the wheels. Up close they are really cool - lovely bit of engineering. I figure that will be the final decision. I have an emergency set of NOS XTR m900 wheels I can toss on in a pinch.

Re:

This turqoise thing can get addictive.

Still waiting on my special crank, but this is a pretty cool sub for now. NOS Carmaba Sidewinders and Vuelta rings. In other news ... I think the ringle cages are keepers and I made up a shim for so everything is good and solid.

Back