Category X-Orange Formula.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":17g3qihy said:
I always remember my original 1989 Clockwork having Mavic Oxygen rims rather than the far more usual 231's. Don't know the timeline on these but wonder if mine was a early bike?

Stem wise I have a early Orange branded aluminium 1" if that would be of interest?

Im hoping the stem that came with it will be the right length, it is a shorter tope tube, but im unsure untill its assembled, so i might take you up on that if thats ok.. :oops:

regan_ev":zfbos1j3 said:
@Andy T. Thanks for the heads up re your Tushingham builds. Superb and another read is required, soon.

@Sinnerman. Coming along nicely. Love the effort involved with research. But what is that Yeti sign? WANT!
I’ve just posted on your wanted ad for XT Q/Rs. If they’re needed for this I’ll have a good look for the front tomorrow.

brocklanders023":zfbos1j3 said:
I always remember my original 1989 Clockwork having Mavic Oxygen rims rather than the far more usual 231's. Don't know the timeline on these but wonder if mine was a early bike?
M231 weren’t officially launched until 1991 but were available in limited quantities late 1990.

Cheers Regan, its no C26 for sure, but it has its place in this thing of ours.

The Yeti Wheel board,....A long story but im sure most will agree, this thing of ours, this love we have, its in our bones, not for profit or gain, just a love affair with the bicycle, along with it comes history and heros, and when your building, fettling, polishing, cleaning, assembling or simply taking five with a coffee and a 30 year old Copy of MBUK, theres nothing beter than doing it surounded with motivation, for me that comes from memories.

Andy T:30033s0z said:
brocklanders023:30033s0z said:

While digging around for parts for the Tushingham, I found that the Mavic Oxygen M6 rims became available in 1988, they were available in silver, black and Hard anodised - presume the later is that nasty dull grey colour.....

Andy

I think the original spec of the Overburys pictured in this thread came with Oxygen rims, i still have them, and i wish they were in the CD finish now, they would be good for the Formula... 😢 Original spec Overburys Pioneer.jpg

Last edited:
That's a mancave to be proud of for sure! :cool:EDIT - and I just noticed that you have a large and perfectly positioned Jerry Ribolli photo between shelves!!! Absolute class that is. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Re:

Great project and I’ve been following closely. Slightly embarrassed to join in just to say that ... I have a pair of the M6cd rims, dark anodised in very tidy condition, from memory 36h if you were interested. They are stickered ‘Mercian’ but that could be removed. All other Mavic stickers present and pretty good brake track. Let me know if you want pictures and I’ll get to the storage unit this week.
I always saw Orange with the Mavic rims, and when I bought my Prestige new in early 1992, it had M231cd. My memory may be playing ticks but I thought that some of the ‘lx, dx’ level groups had 231 then as you went up to xt or the suntour groups (then Microdrive) the ‘cd’ dark finish came in.

sinnerman":rwi7xg23 said:
brocklanders023":rwi7xg23 said:

Stem wise I have a early Orange branded aluminium 1" if that would be of interest?

Im hoping the stem that came with it will be the right length, it is a shorter tope tube, but im unsure untill its assembled, so i might take you up on that if thats ok.. :oops:

Yeah dude, it's sat in the garage waiting for the right project so not going anywhere. :cool:

sinnerman":2hf4ncx3 said:
Andy T":2hf4ncx3 said:
brocklanders023":2hf4ncx3 said:

While digging around for parts for the Tushingham, I found that the Mavic Oxygen M6 rims became available in 1988, they were available in silver, black and Hard anodised - presume the later is that nasty dull grey colour.....

Andy

I think the original spec of the Overburys pictured in this thread came with Oxygen rims, i still have them, and i wish they were in the CD finish now, they would be good for the Formula... :cry:

That's what was on my Clockwork. :cool:

Think Mat might be right on the silver rims as my Clockwork with these was a LX build and the LX based 92 I had recently had 231's. Most of the ones I've had have had CD's.

Re:

Ok Fellas, Im not going to lie, i have hit a bit of a brick wall, a mental block if you will.

My head tells me to build this with standard XT, period correct, of its time, functional and well just generally very good. but even this im in a tussle with my self over, for example, black XT cranks would look awesome, but to be proper, they weren't available until the following year, so should i simply stay with silver cranks and black rings.

My heart tells me to try something different, the name Formula was chosen, for the simple reason, you could have anything your heart desired, but in my head some of this im sure wouldn't be available here in 88.

I.E ... Scott Penderson U Brake and front Brake, IRD seatpost, Mavic Chainset, Mavic Hubs, Mavic rear mech Front Mech etc etc etc,

I have most of the XT to complete the build, the other option i guess will take some finding, XT has been done already,

All opinions gratefully received. Hand Built By Dave Yates.jpg A little Gold Leaf, For Good Measure..!.jpg Neon, White..jpg

Last edited:

sinnerman":q5wihtna said:
Ok Fellas, Im not going to lie, i have hit a bit of a brick wall, a mental block if you will.

My head tells me to build this with standard XT, period correct, of its time, functional and well just generally very good. but even this im in a tussle with my self over, for example, black XT cranks would look awesome, but to be proper, they weren't available until the following year, so should i simply stay with silver cranks and black rings.

Could your retro alter ego have bought it as frame only & not done the build until the following year? My retro alter ego comes up with all sorts of plausible scenarios for how my builds end up. :LOL:

rwm1962":vyaq0xcm said:
sinnerman":vyaq0xcm said:

Could your retro alter ego have bought it as frame only & not done the build until the following year? My retro alter ego comes up with all sorts of plausible scenarios for how my builds end up. :LOL:

It could for sure, hence the Pause for thought and the battle with my own will... :facepalm:

Back