carlton i.d sorted its a 1970 corsair or truwel

hamster":m323v1on said:
I have to say that I'd bin the wheels. Steel rims make the bike sluggish to ride and have appalling braking, especially in the wet.

You could also move to QR hubs and 700c rims. While the purists might shudder a little, it gives you plenty of tyre choice.

A number of my machine have steel wheels, with correctly adjusted brakes and decent blocks the braking is most acceptable. I have had no problems with mine, they are not necessarily up to todays 'standards' but are safe and contribute to the period feel of some classic bicycles.

Coming late to the party, just identified my carlton after 8 months of uncertainty.
My bike has an X on the bottom bracket too and the serial number was on the inside of the seat stay on the drive side it also started with a 1, numbering went thru a crazy phase 69-72 other era Carltons have a letter prefix.

Anyhoo after stripping paint to bare metal I discovered chromed head lugs and head, found that it is a ringer for the 1969 Carlton Criterium pictured in the 1970 catalogue

Yours might be too
06.JPG

Back