Carlton Criterium 1972-73

Re: Carlton Criterium 1972-73 Build

Still looks good after all these years.

Muddy paw":2jhdqm9f said:
ibbz":2jhdqm9f said:
Muddy paw":2jhdqm9f said:
Wow! that price ouch! .

What about this as i'm not sure if it's a good enough match but worth a look .

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/KMC-World-Tour-L ... 25ac09b71e

Wow ! Absolutely gorgeous - expensive too but stunning old skool look - I have the all good version on my Raleigh RSP (or similar KMC in gold) but this is much nicer and I'm tempted as it sure would suit the FW and the frame too ! Though this costs more than the frame haha!

I wonder what anyone else think ?

Yes i know it isn't cheap i find certain things are worth paying for and if your using a good quality freewheel then it's worth complementing it well imho but at the end of the day you've just got to ask yourself if you'd be happier fitting a cheaper quality chain ..

You're quite right, I've been looking at the KMC and other black/gold chains this morning and they're really nice, look wicked and would suit the FW and whole bike giving it some bling (the old bike deserves it) but can't find an 8 speed or lower one in the modern KMC - and nos types such as the shimano and Regina Oro are way expensive!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well the only thing that you could do is to keep a check on the web unless the lbs where you got the freewheel from has one in his stock stored away ..

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Another Quick Update

She's almost done now.

Installed:

i) TA 49T 3 pin Chainset
ii) Very good condition Carlton Hoods
iii) Gear Cables and set the Gears - shifts very nicely
iv) Done the Brake cables properly
v) Tressostar White Cloth Bar Tape
vi) Christophe Straps and Clips
vii) Gave her some spit, polish and wax

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Next Steps:

i) Decided to change the rear Medium Cage Suntour V T Luxe Mech for a Short cage Suntour V Luxe - will be delivered next week.
ii) Installing a Shimano 600 Uniglide Gold and Black chain - to go with the Gold Shimano Dura Ace Freewheel (NOS from Hilary Stone)
iii) Installing a TA Bottle Cage and TA Bottle Cage downtube clamp (Nice)

I need a seat binder bolt, I can find the correct one.

And I've a problem, the front brake doesn't seem to clear the tyres and hits those - I think these are short reach, if so why do they manage to hit the Rear rim?
I'll need to replace these with my set of Weinmann 730 :(
Unless I find some Carrera's

* Silly me, the pads weren't at their lowest point! Still barely clear the tyre though - Drop bolt?
But I thought there should be enough clearance - my Weinmann 730 have a longer reach. hese Weinmann 605 are 60mm reach.

Re:

Want an opinion;

Should I stick with these Weinmann 605?
Replace them with original Weinmann 730
Or fit some canti hangers and go for some period correct Weinmann 999 type

Having problems with front brake.

Re:

Shimano 600 Black and Gold Uniglide 5 - 6 Speed chain to go with that 5 Speed Gold Dura Ace Freewheel.
IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

And Catalogue again:

1972Criterium.jpg

How she in Now:

IMG_0064.jpg

And how she was listed on ebay:

image.jpg

The front brake is currently back to the Weinmann 730, but it's as stiff as a corpse and not set.

Brakes giving problems, I reckon I need to have a rethink.

Do Weinmann Brake levers all work differently with different Calipers?

Re: Carlton Criterium 1972-73 build In progress

Looking real nice now :cool: but as for mixing brakes and levers well i've never done it with classic weinmann parts before but in theory if the calipers are of similar design then they should be compatible
and it sounds like the pivot bolt is either too tight or a bit seized ....

Re: Carlton Criterium 1972-73 build In progress

Muddy paw":pu7km7mo said:
Looking real nice now :cool: but as for mixing brakes and levers well i've never done it with classic weinmann parts before but in theory if the calipers are of similar design then they should be compatible
and it sounds like the pivot bolt is either too tight or a bit seized ....

Thanks man, I'm really impressed with the Chain and the way it looks with the set up (the Dura Ace, Suntour and TA)

Do you think I'm going to far with tarting her up?
People may wonder why I'm spending so much time and effort meticulously choosing quality parts for it.

I reckon I will put the 605's back and then spend an afternoon trying to set them! It's a pain, as depressing the lever completely makes them barely touch the rim! I can set up Cantilevers and V Brakes any day of the week - but these are a royal pain!
I think I need to get them to come closer to the rim somehow.

And I still need a seat binder bolt!

Back