Carlton Criterium 1972-73

Re: Carlton Criterium 1972-73 Build

Looks brilliant mate. I really liked the look of this one when I seen it earlier.
Let us know how you like the ride.

Jamie

As I say I like purple...

Same colour as my Flyer...

MIKESPICS007.jpg

Spokesmann":26bfew3f said:
As I say I like purple...

Same colour as my Flyer...

MIKESPICS007.jpg
Beautiful colour and lustre - I wonder what paint is used here and what Pantone or other colour they used on my one (your paint is nicer than the one on mine by the way) It'd be nice to know which colour as then I could retouch some of the paint round the seat tube cluster and stays .

and that pump is lovely, Universal have one :
pu007L.gif

not sure if this is a frame pump or whether it'd fit.

I installed the one on the Carlton Criterium yesterday:

Installed the Lamp bracket on the forks.
Just took the horrid thick bar tape off, and fixed the 49T steel ring to the TA spider, and installed the chain - to check.
Was pedalling nicely and was very happy until the bearing clicking noice from the freewheel which was at first real nice and crisp decided to tone down and then the freewheel started to creak - checked it and it's developed play which was most likely already there - so needs to be removed and another decent one sought.

Did a mock up with the brake cables to check for look/size etc. (haven't been installed yet and not properly done in this quick snap - and need more cable)
And the Impero Pump arrived so put on the Carlton decal and fit it.
And just bolted on the Christophe clips.

So today will fit the brakes and cables and the new cloth tape.

Then next step will be to await the new TA 49T chain ring and install that along with another freewheel - any recommendations alternatives to the Suntour Winner/Perfect? What i like about these is that they shift nice and are pretty light weight.
Then the Gear cables - so watch this space!

I'm wondering whether anyone knows the correct seat post binder size for Carlton/Raleigh? it's not the standard 8mm.

Re:

Just a quick update.

Bought some NOS Clarks (made in England) Brake cables and fit the cables and the outers (instead of the new Jagwire).
And with the clips and straps, pump etc it's looking like an almost complete bicycle.
So brake cables have been fit, not set though.

There's also some bling visible if you look carefully, the Suntour Freewheel was shot so had to remove it, that same bike shop who sold me the Clarks also had an old box with a NOS 1973/4 Dura Ace racing freewheel in Gold! Had to get it for the sake of it as he sold it to me for 1/3 of what it's going for online - looks a bit odd and is high geared so it may have to go when I manage to get an appropriate Freewheel (1973 Suntour) but it looks, feels and sounds beautiful.

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Next is to fit that 49T TA chain ring, and the bar cloth, Monday and Tuesday depending, then a last minute wax and polish.

Jamiedyer":1q7n2o2j said:
Looks brilliant mate. I really liked the look of this one when I seen it earlier.
Let us know how you like the ride.

Jamie
Jonny69":1q7n2o2j said:
Well you definitely got a bargain there, and nice job so far!

Don't suppose you've still got the old bottom bracket and any chance it is going spare? I could make use of that on my Parkes.
Muddy paw":1q7n2o2j said:
Well done mate that looks ton's better and well worth the time money and effort you've spent on it and i'm rather eager now to see it completed with the cloth tape and pump fitted ;) ..

Thanks guys!

Sweet ! , nearly there mate and looking great ;) and that freewheel ain't bad at all and as it ages and weathers a little you won't notice it so much or the gearing either but i do understand you wanting the original freewheel for the bike so i'd still keep hold of the Dura Ace even if you do get the original suntour as it will make a great fall back :) ..

Muddy paw":6qque2jq said:
Sweet ! , nearly there mate and looking great ;) and that freewheel ain't bad at all and as it ages and weathers a little you won't notice it so much or the gearing either but i do understand you wanting the original freewheel for the bike so i'd still keep hold of the Dura Ace even if you do get the original suntour as it will make a great fall back :) ..
Thanks mate, appreciate the encouragement!
I may need one of these to go with the FW:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Stock-S ... 1534847815
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=58

Or a similar gold chain!
And I wish i'd gone for the 27x 1 1/8 Panaracer Tyre rather than 27x1 1/4, it would've been thinner and more 'racier' - though I wasn't sure if it's fit a 27x 1 1/4 wheel so didn't want to take the chance

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Muddy paw":nb4jx22r said:
Wow! that price ouch! .

What about this as i'm not sure if it's a good enough match but worth a look .

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/KMC-World-Tour-L ... 25ac09b71e

Wow ! Absolutely gorgeous - expensive too but stunning old skool look - I have the all good version on my Raleigh RSP (or similar KMC in gold) but this is much nicer and I'm tempted as it sure would suit the FW and the frame too ! Though this costs more than the frame haha!

I wonder what anyone else think ?

ibbz":15cxwxxu said:
Muddy paw":15cxwxxu said:
Wow! that price ouch! .

What about this as i'm not sure if it's a good enough match but worth a look .

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/KMC-World-Tour-L ... 25ac09b71e

Wow ! Absolutely gorgeous - expensive too but stunning old skool look - I have the all good version on my Raleigh RSP (or similar KMC in gold) but this is much nicer and I'm tempted as it sure would suit the FW and the frame too ! Though this costs more than the frame haha!

I wonder what anyone else think ?

Yes i know it isn't cheap i find certain things are worth paying for and if your using a good quality freewheel then it's worth complementing it well imho but at the end of the day you've just got to ask yourself if you'd be happier fitting a cheaper quality chain ..

Back