Carlton Corinthian, c1955

Frame stripped of parts now, Ive been working on restoring components, cleaning and replacing. This will be built back as a 10-speed, still not 100% sure of gearing and mechs yet. Still much to do on the frame though.

P7080772_zpswstsrst3.jpg

P7080771_zpslci2lqvm.jpg

P7080769_zpsnlzwdxqm.jpg

P7080770_zpslqtwrtnd.jpg

I really like following your builds Mike :) Seeing the potential and then bringing it back to quite often, I believe, a state better than they would have ever been in.
Keep the updates coming and look forward to them :)

Jamie

Frame now being rubbed down. Ill most probably use and oxalic acid solution for some of the bits like stays and BB shell...

P7150847_zpsjpjenzuj.jpg

P7150844_zpscj7qwzdy.jpg

P7150840_zps3ikunzri.jpg

Going to redraw this one...
P7150836_zps8d6qm9bo.jpg

P7150829_zpsz66idyp6.jpg

Forks stripped and just need wire brushing down. These will go for re-chroming...
P7150856_zpswece6r3u.jpg

P7150848_zpszkytecmb.jpg

Pretty certain that those aren't Nervex lugs. Look like Lindrick lugs to me. The ones you have are the more fancy type of Lindrick. They did a simpler version without the circular cut outs, as used on the early '50s Carlton Continental (and many other English frames also).

Good luck with the rebuild. Carlton made some decent frames in those days.

Wheelnut":uxugu6ja said:
Pretty certain that those aren't Nervex lugs. Look like Lindrick lugs to me. The ones you have are the more fancy type of Lindrick. They did a simpler version without the circular cut outs, as used on the early '50s Carlton Continental (and many other English frames also).

Good luck with the rebuild. Carlton made some decent frames in those days.

You could well be right. I have another machine from '58 with Lindrick lugs, which look similar but a little different from these. I suppose some variance in the pattern can be attributed to the fact that these were hand cut and therefore some difference in cut and appearance were inevitable.

The frame is in very good nick, just surface rust really with a little pitting on the rear stays. considering its 60 years old its very solid still. The main tubes are plain gauge 531 I suspect, although the slender rear stays look better than a lot of stuff around they may well be Reynolds too.

No, not hand cut. Hand finished perhaps. There are many misconceptions about lugs.

The Lindrick lugs, Nervex, Haden etc were factory made steel pressings, made using massive machines. I have a 1953 Ernie Clements with the exact same lugs as yours, and I have seen these on other marques also. It is a classic design.

Hand cut lugs were usually, but not always, based on cast steel lug blanks.

Wheelnut":2qtl5awy said:
No, not hand cut. Hand finished perhaps. There are many misconceptions about lugs.

The Lindrick lugs, Nervex, Haden etc were factory made steel pressings, made using massive machines. I have a 1953 Ernie Clements with the exact same lugs as yours, and I have seen these on other marques also. It is a classic design.

Hand cut lugs were usually, but not always, based on cast steel lug blanks.

Thanks useful. :D

Re:

Working continues rubbing down the frame and acquiring components. Frame will require a little filling as it has some pitting around the rear stays. Overall its in very good nick for 62 years old.

P7280909_zpsubi05cur.jpg

P7280911_zpsqfjpyqtl.jpg

P7280912_zpsbreeuagp.jpg

P7280914_zpszjsac8rf.jpg

P7280924_zpshi9p6ti9.jpg

New clips and straps on the old Milremo pedals...

P7280916_zps1cjp0jxn.jpg

P7280927_zpsvs4xj1xm.jpg

Back