1969 Carlton Truwel

Spokesmann

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
A recent new build of mine from a tired but perfectly serviceable machine. A full service was undertaken, as well as thorough clean and replacement of certain parts such as tyres/tubes/cables etc. Added Weinmann shorties and QR alloy wheels instead. The Truwel was never in any of the catalogues as far as I can tell, and is very much a machine I feel that has been overlooked. Most probably named after the Carlton Racing team of the time which was no doubt pushing the Truwel tubing product of TI Raleigh. 21-1/2" frame Simplex mechs, AVA stem and bars, Weinmann 999 CP brakes, Truwel tubed Crespera lugged frame - very similar to the 1969 Sun Chris Barber. Vagner fork crown with chrome tipped fork ends. Lyotard pedals and a steel cottered 49/42 chainset. Apologies for the amount of images. IMG_0007.JPEG
P6152195.JPG
P6152187.JPG
P6062137.JPG
Some images as the build progressed, did all the work over a 3-week period
P5071732.JPG
P5071733.JPG
P5071740.JPG
P5071743.JPG
P5071765.JPG
P5101802.JPG

Great stuff... a job most definitely well done.. as 'grantoury' says.. the balance of all the associated parts is just right.. and that yellow is killer.. 👍

Ah, the Lee Moor tramway. With a couple of very steep inclines so they used the weight of downcoming trucks to pull the empties up. We could use that on bikes perhaps. Of course, it would mean always having couple of "heavier" riders coming down hill. Any volunteers?

Back