Carlton Continental info

Just as an update. The saddle is going to be fixed.
Managed to contact and agree with Tony Colegrave to recover the saddle with new Brooks leather from the 50s, albeit from a lot reject for cosmetic issues that he somehow managed to buy as it was very well conserved.
We agreed on the very cheap price of £50!

Cant' wait to have it back.
Will post pictures of before and after. :)

When the saddle is back I'll put back original brake levers.

It's getting ready for L'Eroica :)

Hi there.

I had a Carlton Continental in exactly the same colour as yours bought new in about 1974. If memory serves me right, it cost £42 from Jackson's Cycles in Guildford. The original spec included a brooks leather saddle, weineman sidepull brakes and Huret 5 speed rear mech. As a young teenager I loved it but was always slightly envious of those with a Carlton Corsa which had a slightly more racy image!

Nice to see there are still a few about.

Squealermax":1ip8xlng said:
Hi there.

I had a Carlton Continental in exactly the same colour as yours bought new in about 1974. If memory serves me right, it cost £42 from Jackson's Cycles in Guildford. The original spec included a brooks leather saddle, weineman sidepull brakes and Huret 5 speed rear mech. As a young teenager I loved it but was always slightly envious of those with a Carlton Corsa which had a slightly more racy image!

Nice to see there are still a few about.

The Corsa had centre pulls and chrome fork tips too! Lovely.

How much would 42 pounds be worth in today's money ?
A Brooks saddle isn't that bad ;)
Wonder why mine came with a Dawes (who re-badged a Wrights one).

The Huret 5 speed I found on a EH ( Elswick-Hopper Cycle, Barton-on-Humber ) bicycle I found thrown away on the side of the road here in Twickenham last here that is waiting to be cleaned up and put back on the road.

Ah, my mistake - it was a Wright saddle not Brooks. I could see it in my mind's eye with a name embossed on the leather and thought it was Brooks but seeing you mention Wright has reminded me.

I bought the Continental because my dad insisted I had a bike with "proper" mudguards so I was steered away from the Corsa which I think had sporty little ally ones. That £42 took me months (years?) of pocket money to repay - something I was often reminded of!

I rode it regularly up until about 1983 when I splashed out on a Raleigh Gran Sport (which I still have in bits).

Put it back on then !
It is a lovely frame, what's it doing collecting dust? :)

Tony, who seem to be a legend on repairing Brooks saddles (he worked for them repairing saddles until he retired and know does repair at home) told me those saddles had a bad reputation and the one I have is simply a lot bought by Dawes and re-badged.
He's gonna put on some lovely quality Brooks leather (with minor cosmetic issues I don't give a shoot about)

Definitely can't wait.

The bike rides lovely too even for not being Reynolds. Heavier for sure, not that much, still very comfy and fast.

anidel":3eyhwsle said:
How much would 42 pounds be worth in today's money ?
A Brooks saddle isn't that bad ;)
Wonder why mine came with a Dawes (who re-badged a Wrights one).

The Huret 5 speed I found on a EH ( Elswick-Hopper Cycle, Barton-on-Humber ) bicycle I found thrown away on the side of the road here in Twickenham last here that is waiting to be cleaned up and put back on the road.

About £480.

Back