Just bought a Carlton Giro

Corsa of Course

Dirt Disciple
1695508318641.png
This was a nice bike in its day. However the wheels are especially nice I thought Campagnolo Lambda Strada V profile. It is a bit of a missing link in my Carlton collection. I have the Corsa from the early 70's the new Giro from 1977/78 and my Super Course mk 2 from 1980. That gives a Carlton in Truwel, a mostly 531, and an almost entirely 531. I thought I would try to clean polish and seal this one so original conditionish. I should get it home next weekend.

Last edited:
Always wanted one of those back in late 70’s when they came out…but ended up with a second hand Raleigh Europa instead as my first proper road bike.

I have a Lepper padded leather saddle but I quite like the Lepper Tourer saddle though which is similar to a Brooks 17. As my surname is Lepper it does seem I am fated to use Lepper saddles.
I hadn't realised it had chrome rims originally but the campagnolo ones this one is wearing are quite tasty. Should I put the Super Course on those rims the Giro on the Super Course's Wolbers. Decisions decisions.

If I could squeeze a pair of 700c into my Corsa frame I would but they made them with a 26 x 1 1/4 because it was too small a frame for 700c wheels. I would happily stick with 26 X 1 3/8 rims if they made some nice fast road tyres. Although on Marathons it is not too shabby.

I think as a place to live the UK is about as good as it gets. Even when it is bad here it is a lot better than most other places. I know I am biased but I do think being English and living in the UK is still a very fortunate thing to be.

Back