Carlton Continental info

anidel

Retro Guru
Hi,

I think and hope this is the right place for this post?

I've got myself this lovely Carlton Continental with some Campagnolo bits I'd like to know more about.
It has Truwel tubing, so I know it's not one of the upmarkets ones (and, in fact, I paid as little as 75 quids for it.)

It came with a Dawes leather saddle which was broken and still have to check if it can be fixed and with original brake levers from Weinmann and also with an unknown handlebar.

This is how I picked it up:

1176383_10151877825222392_315391130_n.jpg

I've swapped the saddle with a faux leather one, put on a GB stem I had lying around and wrapped it in Charge faux leather bartape. Also put on new gumwall tyres from Schwalbe with a bit of puncture protection as the original tyres and tubes were dead.

Everything else is as it came with the bike.

It'd be nice if anyone could give me some more info particularly on the Campagagnolo bits and the bike overall.

I am tempted to repaint it with original colors and new decals, but it's also very nice vintage looking as it is with all its marks and chips!

All pictures are here on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anidel/set ... 678598074/

Suggestions?
Thanks!!

Aniello

9832476746_c709ff1c93_c_d.jpg

9832536463_c2174206b6_c_d.jpg

9832532493_2584f01e3f_c_d.jpg

9832531813_14d2e9f49a_c_d.jpg

9832426634_b09d35678a_c_d.jpg

Thanks.

c1970, nice to see a Continental in blue. The rear mech looks like a Valentina extra, works well enough but not really high end! I had one on my Corsa of the same period. Imichrome decals still look sweet. Thanks for showing!

Please leave as it is.

yeah I think I'll do.

my biggest issue is with the steel rims and their brake power particularly in the wet.
i got some leather pads as suggested in other places, but when I rode it to work in rain, it was a nightmare.

anidel":29mchzdq said:
yeah I think I'll do.

my biggest issue is with the steel rims and their brake power particularly in the wet.
i got some leather pads as suggested in other places, but when I rode it to work in rain, it was a nightmare.

sweet looking bike very nice . try some Koolstop continental brake pads will help a bit but still not great .

have a look at Williams cranks on the internet as sure looks like there logo on the arm

I'd go for a Weinmann alloy wheel upgrade, period specific and you'd notice a tremendous difference in stopping power. They are generally as cheap as chips on fleabay.

Indeed I was looking at those wheels as well. I'm reluctang to change the wheels :) but as I changed the saddle (temporarily :p) and the handlebars/bartape then why not the wheels.
After all is for security and I'd like to use this lovely bike as a light tourer.

Alloy rims would give better braking, I have changed the rims on my 1970 Corsa to some rather attractive and reasonably priced Weinmann RM19s, they help the stopping in the wet tremendously.

Back