Car Scrappage ... a rant.

Easy_Rider":159c309h said:
Kestonian":159c309h said:
So what is the point of the car scrappage policy?

Boost the car & car component industry and that it. The enviromental benefit is just a lie since over 90% of a cars lifetime C02 emissions is produced during manufacture of the car :shock: :roll:
So true, so true. The typical cost of a new car is the representation of the energy consumed to produce it. Saving an old car is somewhat like the ultimate recycling.

With Hybrids just now on the cusp of their 10 year life span, repair costs are skyrocketing, and resale values are plummeting. The value of so-called envirnmentally friendly vehicles are a fraud.

I would be totally in favor of banning the catalytic converter in favor of conventional extreme high milage/somewhat higher tailpipe pollutant concentrations.

perry":3uh1vd8q said:
i think of it like owning a hose that is long and flowing with water . you get a load of people at the end and tell them that it would make them feel better if they collected the flowing water into red buckets . they like the red buckets and all is well . that is of course until you show them the yellow buckets , you tell someone that the yellow buckets are awesome , the red buckets pale in comparison . if you want a yellow bucket however you have to collect more water in the red buckets than whoever is stood next to you . of course the people do this , after all the red buckets are nowhere near as good as the yellow . they were told that and why question it ? all is well with the yellow buckets but the discarded red buckets are taking up space so you offer to take those away . for a cost of course , just fill more yellow buckets full of water . your people are too busy to look around at your wicked garden as they are stuck in the monotony of filling the yellow buckets and someone has heard there might be a green bucket . the water doesnt stop flowing so nobody looks to see where it goes , they are all too busy trying to beat the guy stood next to them . just dont tell the guy holding the tap open or the other guy spraying buckets you wont be letting them play in your big fat pool
That just gave me a brain cramp. :shock:

perry":ib4u2sxv said:
its not the stuff bought at the consumer level . its the stupid consumers being led into thinking they need stuff

eg. 10 & 11 speed groupsets, carbon cranks, outboard BB bearings. shall I go on?

Back to the car scrappage idea. Does anyone really think it'll work. It has to be a new car and the £2k discount is off list price.

So, anyone with a 10 yr old car is unlikely to buy new. They are not the "must have new" types. Thyre likely to buy a 2-3 yr old car and save some dosh.

Some one in the motor trade once told me that there is about a 17% margin that the retailer has on new stock. 17% on a £12k car is £2k, so you could easily (and even easier these days where shifting volumes recovers factories & retailers' fixed costs) negotiate a £2k discount and keep or privately sell the old car.

just another PR stunt.

eg. 10 & 11 speed groupsets, carbon cranks, outboard BB bearings. shall I go on?

:LOL: please do , your doing well at listing crap so why stop at cranks that will eventually snap , bearings with limited lifespan and the belief that throwing an extra sprocket in will give any real increase in speed . but its easier to buy into the idea that components will make you faster than a change in lifestyle . the quick guys are quick no matter what they use , it just so happens companies get them to use the stuff they want to sell

shovelon":gosb13l9 said:
perry":gosb13l9 said:
i think of it like owning a hose that is long and flowing with water . you get a load of people at the end and tell them that it would make them feel better if they collected the flowing water into red buckets . they like the red buckets and all is well . that is of course until you show them the yellow buckets , you tell someone that the yellow buckets are awesome , the red buckets pale in comparison . if you want a yellow bucket however you have to collect more water in the red buckets than whoever is stood next to you . of course the people do this , after all the red buckets are nowhere near as good as the yellow . they were told that and why question it ? all is well with the yellow buckets but the discarded red buckets are taking up space so you offer to take those away . for a cost of course , just fill more yellow buckets full of water . your people are too busy to look around at your wicked garden as they are stuck in the monotony of filling the yellow buckets and someone has heard there might be a green bucket . the water doesnt stop flowing so nobody looks to see where it goes , they are all too busy trying to beat the guy stood next to them . just dont tell the guy holding the tap open or the other guy spraying buckets you wont be letting them play in your big fat pool
That just gave me a brain cramp. :shock:

I've got a green bucket but a yelow hose .........is that good? :?

Well I'm pretty sure I'm happy with it :?:

I might just see what the next door neighbour has, maybe his bucket is bigger, better not be....... ;)

So, anyone with a 10 yr old car is unlikely to buy new. They are not the "must have new" types. Thyre likely to buy a 2-3 yr old car and save some dosh

exactly. I have a 12 year old car, currently on 200k miles. I will run it into the ground and then buy another 10 year old car for £800. I will NEVER buy a new car. EVER. Pointless if they're trying to aim the scheme at me.

Latest posts

Back