Cannot install bottom bracket (cleaning?)

FiveAlpha

Retro Guru
So, my frame has arrived back from Bob Jackson, after a respray. I go to install the bottom bracket cups and they will not screw in. They go a third to half way in, by hand, but not smoothly, and then they stop.

I am loathe to force them (Shimano Octalink cups are soft alu) and so I thought it might be dirt in the threads? Any ideas how to clean them (I’ve used degreased and am old toothbrush - didn’t help).

Any ideas, aside from getting the threads chased, which here in Denmark, will literally cost £60?

Thanks

If it's only paint, or bead blasting residue, a scalpel or sharp pick run through the threads will do the trick.
Maybe wipe a bit of acetone over the threads to soften the paint up a bit.

Re:

Thanks - there isn’t any paint in there, that I can see (Bob Jackson are super professional), but I will try the pick and acetone now.
Thanks!

Re:

Try a small wire brush, a toothbrush isn't strong enough to clear out paint residue or anything that's really stuck

Might be some overspray, but more likely to be small particles of bead blasting media wedged in the threads.

Re:

If they did clean the threads, what could be causing the problem? I bought the bike complete, and removed the original bb myself. It was 25 years old, but had never been removed, so I wouldn’t expect thread damage? Or am I missing something?

I’ve never really had this issue, with 20+ other bikes?

I've had this kind of thing in the past - as said it's usually blasting residue. Best it to get a decent shop to run a tap quickly through the threads to clean them up.

Re:

Thanks, but as I said, that’s not an option here in Denmark. Wages are so high at the low end, it would cost a fortune. I asked a shop to remove a bottom bracket, because I didn’t have a FAG tool. They said 1 week and 250kr - about £29. I bought a tool for 60kr and did It myself in 3 minutes.

Back