CAN WE MAKE STANDARD DECORUM TO CHECK THE WTD ADS FIRST?

Rod_Saetan":3jqpqdvx said:
If you really 'need' something then, in my experience, you either need to A) stump up the cash and pay for it (perhaps exceeding the amount you are expecting), B) wait it out for that once in a lifetime bargain by keeping a careful eye on the usual places (here included) or C) compromise. I too will scan the wanted ads for things I have spare or am selling before listing an item, but the reply rate is usually low and experience tells me that even if you offer someone the thing they want, but perhaps is slightly too expensive/new/marginally different and they turn down that offer you are reluctant to bother trying to help again.

Sorry Rod - nonsense, and this reads more than a little personally to be honest.

You responded to a WTD ad I have in the Road section. I specifically stated, in that ad, that I didn't want New/Mint/NOS, as it's obvious, that I didn't want to pay NOS prices, when a used hub is all that was being asked for.

You responded with a NOS item.

There's no compromise to be made here. There's no "stump up the cash and pay for it" because I took the time and trouble to respond to your ad with something that you didn't actually ask for.

If a WTD ad is very specific, and you don't have that specific item, in the condition requested, it's more than a little churlish that I "didn't bend to your will" and pay more than a used hub would cost, for something that I didn't need or request because you'd taken the time and trouble to offer something I didn't ask for.

CTK":2slku8tx said:
Its probably worth looking into getting a steerer made new.

I did have one made by Winston Vaz - and sent both mine and Troje's to Splitty to have them fitted.

Splitty managed to destroy it, and despite promising to pay for the destroyed steerer - simply returned a box of broken bits and wanted me to go away.

d8mok":1nd6uc99 said:
CTK":1nd6uc99 said:
Its probably worth looking into getting a steerer made new.

That’s probably the best idea to solve the Problem which has prompted the thread.

Already done, but again you make assumptions. I replied above to note that Splitty had destroyed the custom steerer made.

That specific thread isn't the one that prompted this thread. It's years of this sort of thing going on...

Re: Re:

d8mok":9qky5fqx said:
I didn’t misrepresent anything. You never mentioned bumping threads back to top.

If you needed that explaining to you - then you must think a member of the site that has been here for many years is an imbecile.

It's ok though - you've made your views most clear, and that as far as you're concerned, only the people that live on here "deserve" the rare things that come up.

That's a very poor anti-community attitude. I honestly think you want to have a word with yourself.

Re:

There’s nothing going on. It’s not a conspiracy against you it’s just the way items are sold throughout the world.
It’s just as simple as whoever’s first , buys the item for sale.

dongward":28c6gm0f said:
I can see the livid PM's from those with wanted ads when a newbie sells something without addressing the 'standard decorum'.

What happens when there is more than 1 wanted ad for the same item? Is it then down to who has been waiting the longest or who has 'bumped' their post most recently? Or do we get them all to bid on the item so the seller gets the best deal?

Or how about we just post it in the 'for sale' section at a fixed price and allow it to be first come first served...?

However, I think it's totally reasonable for there to be a sticky post like 'Read this before posting a sale', as opposed to the 'Forum Rules' yellow banner. In it you could have the forum rules plus tips like, 'If you have an item for sale and want to generate more interest, check out the wanted ads first in the event someone is already looking for it...' etc.

I agree Dongward - glad to have a sensible voice on here.

Hopefully, this has made some people think. However, given the resentment from others for even raising this as a topic or even daring to make a positive suggestion - most likely not.

My_Teenage_Self":opov227a said:
Sorry in advance for a negative sounding post.

You need to suck it up. It happens to all of us, and it's called 'life'. A wanted post doesn't entitle you to it anymore than anyone else, although I do appreciate how frustrating it must be.

The MTB community here is incredibly helpful, and I've been offered an unbelievable amount of help, advice and freebies. I've help others where I can too. Perhaps you've not been involved enough to appreciate it? Apologies if I'm off the mark here, but I'm not a prolific poster either.

When you're looking for something as rare as you are, you're going to need to make exceptional effort. For a steerer that is as simple as the one you're looking for how can you not get one made up? If you wanted it enough, you'd have bought a lathe, learnt to use it and made your own. That's not a joke, I've done similar.

I took 2 minutes to find your wanted thread and read it. It smacks of someone halfheartedly searching, and TBH, mainly comes across a little negative, as does the tone of your opening post.

So to atone for my negative post, your steerer;... Why not buy a pace 1" steerer and a steerer shim to boost the bottom to match the 1&1/8 diameter of the syncros fork? you could have the parts within a week for very little £££

Peace.

Thanks for the arrogant lecture.

Bought a lathe? Have a word with yourself...

As already mentioned in another post, I had a custom steerer manufactured for me by Winston Vaz - the guy that used to make a lot of Chas Robert's frames.

I sent it to the resident "expert" Splitty. He destroyed it and sent me back a box of bits and told me to eff off with them.

Bitter? Yes.

Requiring a lecture from you about the level of effort put in over the years - honestly... you know what do do. Everything about what you just wrote is totally anti-community.

d8mok":vtv4d59z said:
There’s nothing going on. It’s not a conspiracy against you it’s just the way items are sold throughout the world.
It’s just as simple as whoever’s first , buys the item for sale.

No. You're describing something like eBay. A sales trading platform.

This is Retrobike. A community of like-minded individuals. I understand that you don't get that though.

Back