Wider rims in older frames?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My modern bike is a 2006 pinarello Paris carbon. Campag 10 speed groupset and Mavic brake calipers. I use either campag neutron wheels, or others with either GP4 or open pro rims, all what are now considered narrow. Tyres are limited to 24mm veloflex tubs, 25mm michelin tyres, or 23mm contis. Anything larger won't fit. Looking at options for newer rims, these all seem to be wider. Has anyone had success with modern wide rims in a frame not specifically designed for them?

I've used 25 contis on the wider rims with no issues

But also consider this. My bud has bought some deep section carbon wheels with the wider section. He has had to file the brake blocks down to accommodate the rims. Calipers are DA 7800

Pigman - really?! How wide are the wheels? Surely just giving the caliper more cable would be enough? The 7800 opens up quite wide.

Not sure on the exact width, they are standard modern deep section carbons for road to accept tubes or tubeless.
He can run a wheel through them, but they are that close you have no lever movement to modulate your braking. And that's with the quick releases activated.
I have some 7800 calipers and I can see they're nowhere near as wide as the Shimano 57 depths on my other bike

Old post, but let me give my 2p anyway - I'm currently building two old frames, one from late 80s and one from 90s/00s, both with wider rims. What I found out is that a 23mm tyre on a modern wide rim, such as Vision for an example, measures at least 25 in width, 25mm is more like 28mm and so on. Hence, if max width is 25mm on your Paris, you may not be able to fit wider than 23mm tyres.

The story about adapting calipers to fit in wider rims is a new to me, they ope to well above 35mm

Back