Campagnolo 8 Speed...

LML999":3fi7qxcd said:
Not meaning to resurrect an old thread, but this is great information. I have a 1989 Colnago Spiral Conic currently set up with Record 10 components, am occasionally tempted to backdate it with period correct C Record components...but then I reread this thread. :)

Much conjecture and some great input on this thread, however the simple outcome is to just bite the bullet and get the matched components, I'll never get those hours back ferreting about trying to get the blasted thing to work!

Re your nag: C-Rec has to be the way to go ;)

FINNEY1973":1v1c0zgm said:
LML999":1v1c0zgm said:
Re your nag: C-Rec has to be the way to go ;)

Attached is a picture of my Spiral Conic in its first iteration, with Record 9 and Spinergys. It's now wearing Record 10 and silver Eurus wheels. It's an occasional bike for me, so it doesn't *have* to have the latest/greatest. :)

Here's my everyday bike. :)

Attachments

• Colnago with Spinergys.JPG
    Colnago with Spinergys.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 210
  • C50 in Concord small.JPG
    C50 in Concord small.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 210
Spiral Conic looks an interesting beast. Know what you mean about the latest & greatest - doesn't interest me, rather have some sculpted pieces of nice engineering than some 11 speed whatmenots that needs a bloody battery to operate them!

Yes, the Spiral Conic is a nice bike. Not original paint. Will look better with a straight chrome Precisa fork. :)

Just my 2 penny worth, the levers look like the later 8 speed Record ones that work with the 8 speed cassette hub But the Rear Gear is 100% Chorus type that uses the earlier syncro levers that use 6/7 speed inserts that are pacific to certain makes of freewheels & In my experience they were a nightmare to get working if at all. The early campag effort at index gearing using 6/7speed freewheels was quite frankly an F-ing disaster.
Get hold of an 8 speed Record or Chorus rear gear to use with these levers & then hopefully everything will work correctly. Also a campag rear cassette hub & cassette as well if you can stretch to that. NB make sure you get the correct size lock ring for the cassette as the vary in thread size as well as the overall diameter depending on the type of body used on the hub & the number of teeth on the first sprocket from memory there are 4 types/sizes I think? but could be wrong on that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 10.13.49.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 10.13.49.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 188
More excellent information there Stringfellow. Hopefully this thread will be of use to people in the future who, like me, attempted and ultimately failed. I took the better and easier option of changing the mech and it's now pretty much flawless in terms of operation. A great piece of kit and lovely to use ... end result here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=280237

Back