8 SPEED CAMPAG ERGOSHIFTERS

AHA!!! Shimano mechs are incompatible with Campag shifters, search on 'Shimergo' for how to get workarounds. You need a Campag (pre-2001) rear mech.

7,8 & 9 speed chains are all the same inside dimensions, so no need to change jockey wheels.

The rear mech is a Shimano 105 long cage the one with the blue and yellow transfers, I bought the bike from a retired cyclist who had been using 105 downtube levers. I bought the ergoshifters from a forum member as I wanted to go all campag the wheels are loverly large flange campag with campag triple chainset and headset and campag brakes. Colin Do I need to buy a campag rear mech and which one bearing in mind cassette is a megarange 13 to 34 tooth

Ah. That "thud" was the other shoe dropping.

If you want to use Campy 8 speed shifters with a mega range cassette, you should use a Shimano MTB RD like DX or XT, bottom normal up to 9 speed with a Shift mate model #4.
That 105 RD probably will have a hard time clearing a 34t cog.

I've used a few Shimergo combos. 10sp Campy shifter with Shimano RD shifts Shimano 8 speed without adding anything, otherwise I use Shift mate.

I have the same problem. There is one change in the middle of the cassette that always is difficult. I have the 1997 Record Ergopower Titanium shifters, bought NOS about 5 years ago, still boxed. Derailleur is Record Titanium, bought secondhand but in excellent condition. Cassette is Record 8 speed 13-19 and then a 21. If I adjust to get the perfect shift on the one that's difficult then it throws 2 or 3 of the others out, so I just leave it, I'm not bothered by it, I'm not a pro rider, so who cares really.

I have an identical set up on my other bike, but the Ergopower Record shifters were bought second hand, a bit battered, like the Record Titanium derailleur on this bike, but both working fine. It's with a Miche 8 speed cassette, 12-17, then 19 and a 21, bought brand new at about 25 euros from Bike24.com, and all shifts are perfect. Frame spacing, cables etc are identical on both bikes.

Last edited:
Nice to know Ime not alone. I agree with you not a pro rider so can live with it. I bought the ergolevers from a forum member having researched everything would work. Going to try campag cables then call it a day

I have the same problem. There is one change in the middle of the cassette that always is difficult. I have the 1997 Record Ergopower Titanium shifters, bought NOS about 5 years ago, still boxed. Derailleur is Record Titanium, bought secondhand but in excellent condition. Cassette is Record 8 speed 13-19 and then a 21. If I adjust to get the perfect shift on the one that's difficult then it throws 2 or 3 of the others out, so I just leave it, I'm not bothered by it, I'm not a pro rider, so who cares really.

I have an identical set up on my other bike, but the Ergopower Record shifters were bought second hand, a bit battered, like the Record Titanium derailleur on this bike, but both working fine. It's with a Miche 8 speed cassette, 12-17, then 19 and a 21, bought brand new at about 25 euros from Bike24.com, and all shifts are perfect. Frame spacing, cables etc are identical on both bikes.
Check the spacer locations. As @hamster stated, the cog spacing is not consistent across a Campagnolo cassette. If the spacers are out of order it will not shift accurately.

As you already have the ergo levers this is probably too late for you, but in case it’s helpful for anyone else Sachs New Success 8 speed “ergo” shifters are Shimano compatible (except apparently for 8 speed Dura Ace )

As you already have the ergo levers this is probably too late for you, but in case it’s helpful for anyone else Sachs New Success 8 speed “ergo” shifters are Shimano compatible (except apparently for 8 speed Dura Ace )
The New Success shifters were made by Campagnolo, re-branded Chorus. Sachs collaborated with Campagnolo to create the new 8 speed ergo shifter. The shift throw therefore should be the same as Campagnolo, so not sure if Shimano compatible 🤔

Back