8 SPEED CAMPAG ERGOSHIFTERS

colinbow

Retro Guru
Hi I need to know if above will work with an 8 speed Shimano cassette? At present working with 7 speed campag but not that well. Rear spacing is 126 mm so will need to cold set frame to 130 for my 8 speed wheels. As there will be no going back if I cold set I thought I would ask first.Thanks for reading Colin

Shimano 8 is 4.8mm pitch, Campag 8 is 5.0mm, the same as 7 speed (both Shimano and Campag).

If your Campag 7 isn't shifting well, then I am surprised. While the shift is always with a bit of a clunk, it's generally very accurate and stays in adjustment basically forever. The biggest problem with shifting accuracy I have encountered is when the gear cable outer isn't snug into the shifter body - this can happen when bars are being taped up. ALso, if somebody has inadvertently use either Shimano cable inners or a ferrule on the outer that's a bit fat.

Last edited:
Thank you The problem seems to be around 4 and 5 {if 7 is hardest gear} no problem 1to3 or 6and7. Occurs when I move from 3 to 4 it somtimes goes into 5 if you see what I mean Colin

Are you using an 8 speed era Campag rear mech with that?
Campag 8 speed cogs have 5mm cog spacing.
Shimano 8 speed cogs have 4.8mm spacing so there will be a discrepancy.
you could use a Shift mate (model #1) to get this to work;

Edit- @hamster types faster than me :)

The rear mech is a Shimano 105 long cage the one with the blue and yellow transfers, I bought the bike from a retired cyclist who had been using 105 downtube levers. I bought the ergoshifters from a forum member as I wanted to go all campag the wheels are loverly large flange campag with campag triple chainset and headset and campag brakes. Colin Do I need to buy a campag rear mech and which one bearing in mind cassette is a megarange 13 to 34 tooth

Thank you The problem seems to be around 4 and 5 {if 7 is hardest gear} no problem 1to3 or 6and7. Occurs when I move from 3 to 4 it somtimes goes into 5 if you see what I mean Colin
A clear diagnosis, I suspect grotty cabling or perhaps a kink / loose strand in the inner. Is the cabling setup fresh and the mech hanger alignment checked?

dbwheels could I not just buy some campag jockey wheel and fit them to the 105 rear mech. The original owner seemed to manage with 105 raer mech?

Back