Wanted Campag 7/8 speed long cage rear mech

colinbow

Retro Guru
Looking for above please to sort out shifting probs with my bike, At present 7/8 speed Shimano 105 long cage which I am told is not compatable, Thanks for reading Colin Levers are 8 speed athena ergolevers.

Hi Is it long cage as cassette is 13to34 I need the 34 now I am 70 with 42 smallest up front. Is postage included? Thanks for all your help much appreciated Colin

Colin: includes postage.
It is likely to struggle with 34, although a goat link mech dropper would help. Campag only designed their road mechs to handle 26T max.
It's easier to put smaller rings on the front - on a Campag front chainset a 39T should fit for starters, which would give the same gear with a 32T rear.

Alternatively fit a compact chainset - like a 34/50, which would give REALLY low gears. Note that your Ergos will happily run a triple front chainset, unlike shifters from the Japanese fishing tackle brand.

And there is nothing wrong with spinning low gears. I remember happily twiddling my triple way past the macho guys on 39/23 uphill on the Surrey Legs of Steel.

Maybe some confusion, I have a Mirage 8 speed rear mech long cage, so compatible with your shifters.
Campag changed its Daytona midrange groupset to Centaur in 2001-2, reusing an old MTB groupset name.

And yes, also I have a triple Mirage front. I can't remember if it's band or braze, but braze-band adaptors are cheap.

Last edited:
Back